Renter's Insurance

what is renter's insurance? Umbrella, refrigerator, and sofa graphics are displayed

In accordance with the University Housing License Agreement, we recommend that all residents purchase renter's insurance. While we do not require residents to purchase this additional insurance, we encourage them to purchase this form of insurance due to the many benefits it provides, should the need arise. 

We have created this short FAQ and will continue to update this page regularly to keep our residents informed of the process and options.

Q: What is renter’s insurance?

A: Renters insurance provides coverage for your lost, damaged, or stolen personal possessions. It can also provide coverage for an accident at your residence.

Q: Is renter’s insurance included in the cost of housing?

A:No, renter’s insurance is not included. We advise that students work with an outside provider to purchase renter’s insurance. For more information, please visit the National Association of Insurance Commissioners website at: NAIC Renters Alert

Q: Who should purchase renter’s insurance?

A: We recommend that all students living on University Housing properties purchase renter’s insurance.

Q: Is renter’s insurance worth it while living with University Housing?

A: If you're a tenant, purchasing a renter’s insurance policy is almost always worth it. Accidents and unexpected events happen all the time. For an affordable price, renter’s insurance will protect you against catastrophic damage to your property and potential legal liabilities.

Q: How much does renter insurance cost?

A: It depends on the provider, but the average cost of renter’s insurance in the US is about $14.90 per month, according to data from the Insurance Information Institute. The average renter can expect to pay about $179 per year in total for coverage.

Q: Can I purchase renter's insurance through University Housing?

A: We are unable to assist with this purchase process or offer suggestions regarding particular renter's insurance companies. This action would need to be taken independently, and it is not connected with the cost of living on campus.