An IRS Verification of Non-Filing Letter is proof from the IRS that a person did not file a tax return for a specific tax year.
Who is required to submit this document?
A verification of non-filing is only required if:
Your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) has been selected for verification (please check your ULink ‘Task’ list for a verification form), AND one of the following:
- You are an independent student and did not file taxes for the tax year requested on the verification form, OR
You are the parent(s) included on your child's FAFSA and did not file taxes for the tax year requested on the verification form.
- A dependent student is not required to submit a verification of non-filing if they did not file taxes.
- The 2023-2024 Verification form will request a verification of non-filing for the 2021 tax year.
- The 2022-2023 Verification form will request a verification of non-filing for the 2020 tax year.
If you have a Verification form and you are an independent student or your parent(s) included on your FAFSA did not file taxes in the requested tax year, please see the information below.
Why is this document required?
If your FAFSA is selected for a review process called verification, and you (if independent) or your parent(s) (if dependent) did not file taxes for the requested tax year, the U.S. Department of Education requires you to submit an IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter to your educational institution. If appropriate, a similar verification from another taxing authority (e.g., a U.S. territory or foreign government) is also acceptable. Please contact our office for more information regarding verification of non-filing from other taxing authorities.
How do I obtain the IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter for submission?
Non-tax filers can request an IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter for their tax return status, free of charge.
Please contact UofL’s Student Financial Aid Office at 502.852.5511 during office hours if the IRS request options below do not work or if you have any questions.
1. Online Request (IRS Website)
- Available on the IRS website.
- Click the Get your Tax Record link on the home page.
- Choose the Get Transcript Online option.
- If you have not filed taxes before or at any point you cannot validate your identity (for example you cannot provide financial verification information or you lack access to a mobile phone), please see the "Postal Mail Request" (option 3 below) on this page for instructions.
- Sign in with an existing account or create a new account utilizing the options provided by the IRS.
- Once logged in, select Higher Education/Student Aid from the drop-down menu and click Go. You do not need to enter a customer file number to make the request.
- Select Verification of Non-filing Letter and enter the tax year requested on your verification form.
- If successfully validated, you will be able to view your IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter that can be printed.
- Please make a copy, write your student ID number on the Verification of Non-filing Letter, and submit it to UofL’s Student Financial Aid Office with your verification form via the ULink Financial Aid Document Upload process or by mail, in person, or by fax. DO NOT email the verification form or the verification of non-filing letter.
2. Telephone Request (IRS Transcript Request Line)
- Available from the IRS by calling 1.800.908.9946.
- Follow prompts to request an IRS Wage and Income Transcript.
- Enter the tax year requested on your verification form.
- If successfully validated, you can expect to receive the transcript at the address provided in the telephone request within 5 to 10 business days from the date of the request
- Please make a copy, write your student ID number on the Wage and Income Transcript, and submit it to UofL’s Student Financial Aid Office with your verification form via the ULink Financial Aid Document Upload process or by mail, in person, or by fax. DO NOT email the verification form or the transcript.
3. Postal Mail Request (IRS Request Form 4506-T)
- If you are unable to request this document online or by phone, please complete a 4506-T form to request it by mail. Please click here for detailed instructions on how to complete IRS Form 4506-T to request a Verification of Non-filing Letter.