A Confirmation of Non-Filing (IRS Verification of Non-Filing Letter) is proof from the IRS that a person did not file a tax return for a specific tax year.
Who is required to submit this document?
A confirmation of non-filing is only required if:
Your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) has been selected for verification. Please check your ULink Financial Aid To-Do list for a Verification form. AND one of the following:
- You are an independent student and did not file taxes for the tax year requested on the verification form, OR
You are the parent(s) included on your child's FAFSA and did not file taxes for the tax year requested on the verification form.
- A dependent student is not required to submit a confirmation of non-filing if he/she did not file taxes.
- The 2020-2021 Verification form will request a confirmation of non-filing for the 2018 tax year.
- The 2019-2020 Verification form will request a confirmation of non-filing for the 2017 tax year.
Why is this document required?
If your (FAFSA) is selected for a review process called verification, and you (if independent) or your parent(s) (if dependent) did not file taxes for the requested tax year, the U.S. Department of Education requires you to submit an IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter to your educational institution. If appropriate, a similar confirmation from another taxing authority (e.g., a U.S. territory or foreign government) is also acceptable. Please contact our office for more information regarding confirmation of non-filing from other taxing authorities.
How do I obtain the IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter for submission?
Non-tax filers can request an IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter for their tax return status, free of charge, from the IRS.
Online Request (IRS Website)
- Available on the IRS website
- Click the 'Get your tax record' link on the home page.
- Click 'Get Transcript ONLINE'
- If you have not filed taxes before or at any point you cannot validate your identity - for example you cannot provide financial verification information or you lack access to a mobile phone: please see the "in person" (option 1) or "postal mail" (option 4) options on this page for instructions.
- Select 'Verification of Non-filing Letter' and enter the tax year requested on your verification form.
- If successfully validated, you will be able to view your IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter that can be printed.
- Please make a copy, write your student ID number on the form, and submit it to the Student Financial Aid Office with your verification form via fax, mail, or in-person. DO NOT email the form or verification of non-filing letter.
Please contact our office at 502-852-8378 or 502-852-8376 during our office hours if the IRS online request option does not work.