Special Student Populations

There is general information in which special student populations should make themselves aware. The Student Financial Aid Office encourages all students to review other parts of the website to understand the policies and procedures that govern the different types of aid.

Transfer Student
Study Abroad Students
Adult Students
Students Graduating
2nd Degree Seniors/Post-Baccalaureate Students
Visiting Students
Metro College

Transfer Students

    To have your federal and need-based state aid eligibility evaluated, you must have a completed financial aid file, be admitted to UofL, and have canceled any pending financial aid you may have at another institutions if you are transferring to UofL for the spring or summer term.

    If you were selected for verification at your last school, you will be selected for verification again at UofL. The verification process will have to be completed at UofL before you will be eligible for federal financial aid.

    Professional Judgment or Dependency Overrides completed at another institution will not apply at UofL. You will need to request a new Professional Judgment and we will need to recalculate your aid based on our own policies and procedures.

    For scholarship and other resource information, click here.

      Study Abroad Students

      Contact the Office for International Studies if considering any study abroad opportunity. For scholarship and other resource information, click here.

      In all instances, a consortium or contractual agreement is required before aid can be considered for classes taken as part of a study abroad program.  Provide our office with the cost of the program, total enrolled hours, course certification and intended enrollment period associated with the study abroad program.  This information can be obtained from the Office of International Studies, the UofL department sponsoring the trip or the agency (KIIS, CEA, CCIS, ISA, etc). The cost information will be used to determine if your budget and financial aid may be increased to reflect any additional costs related to studying abroad.

      All federal financial aid and some state awards can be used for payment toward eligible study abroad programs providing you qualify.  Depending on the restrictions placed on scholarships, they may be used to pay for study abroad programs as well. However, you are responsible for any payment installments owed for the study abroad program prior to the disbursement of federal, state, or institutional funds.

      Important Tip:

        • Ensure all necessary financial aid steps have been completed prior to leaving the country.  This includes but is not limited to:
          • Completing all Direct Loan processing steps if you have been awarded a Direct Loan(s)
          • Ensuring you have set up a BankMobile account if you are expecting residual funds

          Adult Students

          Some adult students returning to school have unique opportunities to receive funding for their education through various sources. For scholarship and other resource information, click here.

          If your employer offers a tuition reimbursement program, be sure to follow the directions on the Bursar’s Office website

          Student Graduating

          If you submit a degree application for graduation and you have a Direct Loan, it may need to be prorated. This requires a re-calculation of your eligibility based on the hours in which you are enrolled.

          2nd Degree Seniors/Post-Baccalaureate Students

          A student who has already earned a bachelor's degree or first professional degree is no longer is ineligible for the Pell Grant.  If you are working on a second bachelor’s degree you may be  eligible for the Senior level federal loan limits of $7,500 if you are a dependent student or $12,500 if you are an independent student.  The aggregate lifetime undergraduate loan limits of $31,000 for a dependent student or $57,500 for an independent student are still enforced.

          You should familiarize yourself with UofL’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy.

          Visiting Students

          If you are enrolled at the University as a visiting student you are not eligible for financial assistance at UofL.  However, you may be eligible for federal financial aid at your home institution and should consult with your home institution’s financial aid office.

          Metro College

          Metropolitan College is a partnership among the University of Louisville, Jefferson Community and Technical College, Jefferson Technical College, UPS, Humana, and Community Alternative Kentucky (CAKY). Participants in this program receive both employment income and paid tuition benefits. A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required. Certain stipulations apply, so you should visit www.metro-college.com for further information and eligibility requirements.  The tuition benefits received through Metropolitan College must be counted as an aid resource when calculating your eligibility for other forms of financial aid. Reporting your Metro College tuition benefits to the Student Financial Aid Office early will help prevent changes in your eligibility that can result in adjustments to your financial aid. To report estimated financial assistance not already included in your aid package, complete the Report Other Aid form.