M.Ed. in Special Education

The Master of Education in Special Education offers the following areas of concentration.


Through this program students will increase their understanding of individuals with Autism/Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) across the lifespan. They will learn to use alternative communication systems to address the needs of persons with Autism/PDD.

Learn more about the Autism concentration

Learning and Behavior Disorders

Through this program teachers increase their knowledge and expertise in teaching students with Behavior Disorders, Learning Disabilities, Mild Mental Disabilities and Orthopedic Impairments at all grade levels from kindergarten through high school.

Learn more about the Learning and Behavior Disorders concentration

Moderate and Severe Disabilities (Online Option)

Through this program teachers will increase their knowledge and expertise in teaching students with moderate and severe intellectual disabilities at all grade levels from kindergarten through high school.

Courses are provided on campus, or via the Internet.

MSD Online

Learn more about the Moderate and Severe Disabilities concentration - Face to Face Option

Certificate in Autism and Applied Behavior Analysis

UofL's Graduate Certificate in Autism and Applied Behavior Analysis provides practitioners with advanced knowledge in autism research and behavioral analytic approaches to skill development and the treatment of challenging behavior. Upon completion of the program's approved courses, students with a master's degree must complete a 1,500 hour practicum to be eligible to sit for the Board Certified Behavior Analyst Certification Exam.

GC AABA Online

Learn more about the Certificate in Autism and Applied Behavior Analysis - Face to Face Option

For more information about Board certification, go to www.bacb.com/.

Note: Meeting GRE score and GPA minimums does not guarantee a student will be accepted to the program.

This program is open to all eligible candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age.

Contact Us

Ginevra Courtade, Ph.D.
Department of Special Education, Early Childhood, & Prevention Science (SECP)
College of Education and Human Development

Career Pathways and Certification

Students acquiring the Certified Orientation Mobility Specialist (COMS) and Assistive Technology Professional (ATP) credentials work as consultants, or as direct employees of schools' postsecondary disability agencies to provide O&M and AT services. Others use their training in a variety of ways in education and administration.

Financial Aid

In addition to the financial aid opportunities offered by the University, the College of Education & Human Development also has information about financial aid.

Other financial aid opportunities available include graduate assistantships and other employment opportunities.

Supervising and Resource Teachers

In recognition of valuable service to the preparation of teachers and the need for all teachers to have continual professional growth, a supervising teacher or a resource teacher for teacher interns may, with prior approval of the course-offering institution, take a maximum of six (6) credit hours per term at any public postsecondary institution and pay no tuition. The postsecondary institution shall waive the tuition up to a maximum of six (6) credit hours.

To apply, you must complete the Tuition Waiver Certification for Supervising and Resource Teachers Application [PDF]. It should be completed by the supervising teacher, certified by their principal, and returned to our office. Return the form to the Student Financial Aid Office at U of L.

Eligibility: 6 credit hours of tuition benefits for each semester served as a full responsibility supervising or resource teacher, or 3 credit hours of tuition benefits for each semester served as a shared supervising or resource teacher. Students may exercise the tuition waiver option up to twelve months following the assignment. Tuition benefits are paid directly to the University of Louisville.

I have some credit hours from another program/university. Can the credit be transferred?

Once you are admitted to the program, you may request to transfer up to 6 credit hours if your UofL advisor approves the request. Transfer requests are then submitted to the School of Interdisciplinary and Graduate Studies.

What degrees or endorsements do I receive if I complete the program?

You will receive a Master of Education in Special Education degree.

How long does it take to complete the MEd program?

The program can be completed in as few as two years or as many as six years.

Where are courses being delivered?

Courses are delivered on UofL's Belknap Campus; some courses may be available online.