Petition for CD Credit - Life Experience
Students may petition for Cultural Diversity (CD) credit based on a life experience that addresses the CD learning outcomes.
Petitions are reviewed by the General Education Curriculum Committee (GECC) once a month.
Ideally, students should petition for CD credit based on life experience at least one semester prior to an anticipated graduation date or the semester after transfer to UofL.
Petition must include:
- The form of CD requested
- A 500-1000 word essay explaining how the life experience addresses the learning outcomes of the CD competency. You must demonstrate clear evidence of competency in all four CD learning outcomes listed below. For each learning outcome the essay should explain how and why the life experience met the learning outcome. You must present evidence to support your claim. Petitions will be strongly evaluated on the essay.
Essays are evaluated using a four-criteria assessment based on the learning outcomes of the CD competency:
Learning Outcomes of the CD Competency:
Understanding cultural diversity means students will have a broad exposure to a variety of social systems, cultures, and subcultures, both within the United States and the rest of the world. This portion of the curriculum encourages an appreciation of the realities of a racially and culturally diverse world. Students who satisfy this requirement will demonstrate that they are able to do all of the following:
- Recognize that social and cultural systems develop out of adaptation to environmental and historical circumstances;
- Communicate an understanding of the ways in which race, ethnicity, and/or gender are socially constructed;
- Communicate an understanding that different cultures may hold different views of the same issues;
- Evaluate pertinent information and assertions for relevance, bias, stereotyping, manipulation, and completeness.
(For more information visit http://louisville.edu/provost/GER).
Prior to submission: please direct all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put "CD petition" in subject line.