If it's shorter run, quick turnaround work that you need produced, or if you want to personalize your document, Printing Services also has an arsenal of high-quality, high-speed digital printers available to print in color or black and white at exceptional prices.
Advantages of Digital Printing
- Shorter turnaround.
- Every print is the same. More accurate counts, less waste and fewer variations, due to not having to balance ink and water during press run.
- Cheaper low volume printing. While the unit cost of each piece may be higher than with offset printing, when setup costs are included digital printing provides lower per unit costs for very small print runs.
- Variable Data Printing is a form of customizable digital printing. Using information from a database or external file, text and graphics can be changed on each piece without stopping or slowing down the press. For example, personalized letters can be printed with a different name and address on each letter. Variable data printing is used primarily for direct marketing, customer relationship development and advertising.
Variable Data Printing: Versioning & Personalization
If you want to boost response or build revenue with your publication, Printing Services has the capability to integrate the most powerful digital technology with databases provided by you, to produce one-out documents. Variable data printing, or print personalization, is an increasingly useful method for targeting printed materials to an end user. Printing Services works with this technology in two processes:
Versioning is a method of targeting customer segments. The core information in a publication is consistent and standardized. It may be in color or black and white. Variable data is then added to the piece to target a geographic or demographic group. Versioning applications might include surveys, newsletters, or promotional materials.
Personalization is a printing process that involves merging data into a document. Run lengths are one, and text, graphics, images, length, and format can all be variable, all targeted, depending on the database. Personalization is very useful for fund raising letters, Postcards, and direct mail campaigns. Printing Services, working together with Postal Services, We will manage your database and process your printed piece for mailing, either through campus mail or the United State Postal Services.
If you have time (10-day minimum production time), need a large quantity of printed pieces, then traditional offset is the best route to go for getting your project printed. Printing Services has contracted vendors in the Louisville Metro Area that we can outsource your print order to in compliance with State and University policies for printing.
Advantages of Offset
- Lower cost per unit for longer runs (Unit cost goes down as print quantity goes up)
- Better Quality with higher image resolution.
- More paper options.
- Pantone Spot Color and Metallic Ink options.