The VPN allows users to use a public network or Internet service to securely connect to protected University resources such as file and print, SQL servers, remote logins to servers and workstations.
You must request a regular VPN account through ULink. The regular VPN access allows you to remote into your desktop and access IT file and print. To do so, log in to ULink and click the Computer Accounts link located in the Information Technology section.
- VPN client quick install instructions:
- Browse to vpn.louisville.edu and log in.
- There will be different sections displayed on the page after log in. At the bottom of the page, there is a "VPN Network" section with a "Connect" button.
- Clicking "Connect" will launch, install, or update the VPN client.
- A successful connection to the campus network can be verified by checking that there is a small red "UL" icon on the system tray by the clock.
Additional VPN information
- Supported Operating Systems
- Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1; 32 and 64-bit.
- Mac OS 10.7 and up.
- Ubuntu Linux 32 and 64-bit.
- The VPN client will run in a Virtual Machine environment.
- Supported web browsers
- Internet Explorer with ActiveX or Java version 7 or 8.
- Firefox with Java version 7 or 8.
- Chrome with Java version 7 or 8.
- Mac OS
- Safari with Java version 7 or 8.
- Firefox with Java version 7, have not tested Java version 8.
- Why is the VPN needed?
- The Virtual Private Network (VPN) is used to allow a user from a remote location to access IT computer resources that are not accessible from off-campus. The VPN should be used when accessing sensitive data from outside the University such as HIPAA, FERPA and Research data.
- What makes the VPN secure?
- The VPN uses Transport Layer Security (TLS) cryptographic protocols to provide secure connectivity over the Internet.
- How do I get a VPN account?
- Go to ULink and login with your credentials once logged in locate the Information Technology block then click on the Computer Accounts link and under Requestable Accounts click the box next to VPN 1: Campus and click save. Your account will be created within minutes, you will not receive a separate notification.
- How do I allow someone who is not an employee/faculty such as a 3rd party technical support or researcher access to the VPN to connect to a University IT computer resource?
- This known as a Sponsored Account, you will need to request the account for the individual that will need access to the IT resource using the VPN. The request can be made by visiting the Sponsored Account request form.
- What if I am having trouble connecting to the VPN is there someone I can call?
- Yes you can contact the Help Desk at 852-7997
If you are requesting Datacenter access, please fill out the elevated access form. You will have to provide a list of applications and data that you need access to with the VPN. If you do not provide enough detail you will be asked for more information, so please feel free to elaborate as much as necessary to describe what the applications are being used for and how the data is being used. Access the Elevated Access form.