The GlobalProtect VPN allows a user from a remote location, public network or Internet service, to securely connect to protected University resources that are not accessible off-campus, e.g., file servers, print servers, SQL servers, remote logins to computers. Using the VPN ensures that University resources are accessed in a secure manner. The VPN is ideal for accessing sensitive data, such as HIPAA, FERPA and Research data, when not on the University campus.
To use the VPN system you must have a VPN account. You can request an account through ULink, just login and click the Computer Accounts link located in the Information Technology section.
GlobalProtect VPN client quick install instructions:
- For Microsoft Windows or Apple Mac
- Browse to https://vpn.louisville.edu and log in, going to http://vpn.louisville.edu will not load anything.
- Choose a client to download and install.
- When the client prompts to login the Portal parameter is vpn.louisville.edu
- When you have successfully connected there will be a "services connected" systray popup.
- For Google Android or Apple iOS
- Search the application store for "globalprotect vpn".
- The application is GlobalProtect from Palo Alto Networks.
- Use vpn.louisville.edu for the Server (Android) or Portal (iOS) parameter
Detailed instructions for accessing fileshares (H and I drives) (PDF)
- Operating System Support
- Windows Vista through Windows 10; 32 and 64-bit.
- Apple Mac OS 10.6 through 10.10.
- Apple iOS 6, 7 and 8
- Google Android 4.0.3 or later
- How do I access my files?
- You will have to manually add the network file shares on the computer that you are connecting from.
- If you try and login to the GlobalProtect VPN client but the connection fails and you get this Warning/Error message, "Cannot connect to root\cimv2" follow these steps.
- Open an Administrator command/powershell prompt
- Run "winmgmt /verifyrepository" to confirm that the WMI repository is corrupt.
- Run "winmgmt /salvagerepository" to try and repair the WMI repository
- If the salvagerepository did not succeed, run "winmgmt /resetrepository", you may have to run this command twice.
- What makes the VPN secure?
- The VPN uses cryptographic protocols to provide secure connectivity over the Internet. Communications from a remote computer with the VPN client to University resources will be encrypted as they traverse the Internet.
- How do I get a VPN account?
- Go to ULink and login with your credentials once logged in locate the Information Technology block then click on the Computer Accounts link and under Request-able Accounts click the box next to VPN 1: Campus and click save. Your account will be created within minutes, you will not receive a separate notification.
- How do I allow someone who is not an employee/faculty such as a 3rd party technical support or researcher access to the VPN to connect to a University IT computer resource?
- This known as a Sponsored Account, you will need to request the account for the individual that will need access to the IT resource using the VPN. The request can be made by visiting the Sponsored Account request form.
- What if I am having trouble connecting to the VPN is there someone I can call?
- Yes you can contact the Help Desk at 852-7997
If you are requesting Datacenter access, please fill out the elevated access form. You will have to provide a list of applications and data that you need access to with the VPN. If you do not provide enough detail you will be asked for more information, so please feel free to elaborate as much as necessary to describe what the applications are being used for and how the data is being used. Access the Elevated Access form.