International Travel Frequently Asked Questions

I. General Procedure
II. Forms
III. Insurance
IV. Group Trips
V. Who should I contact?

General Procedure

1. Who must file international travel paperwork?

  •  All Faculty, Staff, and non-study abroad Students who are receiving University funds;
  •  All Faculty, Staff, and non-study abroad Students traveling internationally on University business without University funds (for example: attending a  conference and all costs covered by the conference organizers, teaching on a study abroad program, research funded by a third party);
  • All Students traveling abroad for non-study abroad purposes sponsored by academic programs or departments. See # 2 below for clarification. Top of page

2. Do students who are studying abroad need to file the Provost international travel paperwork?

    Study abroad is defined as a student receiving credit abroad through:

  • An exchange program
  • Direct enrollment at a foreign institution
  • An approved third-party program
  • A faculty-led program

Students who are studying abroad do not file international travel forms for Provost approval. However, they will need to file other paperwork. Students should contact with questions about study abroad.

If a student is traveling on a faculty-led group trip, they will file all paperwork with their faculty lead and do not need to contact the study abroad service account. Top of page

3. What will happen if I do not file the Provost forms before departure?

Most importantly, it is university policy for all travelers to file international travel forms. Additionally, if an emergency situation were to arise, the traveler may not be covered by worker’s compensation or the university’s liability insurance, and they will not have international travel insurance. Lastly, the traveler will not receive Provost approval and may not be reimbursed for expenses. Top of page

4. Why do I need to file international travel forms?

The Provost International Travel Forms are critical to the University’s risk management program and will allow the University to communicate with faculty, staff, and students in the event of an emergency. Top of page

5. I am a faculty/staff member. Once I have filled out the paperwork, what do I do with it?

Once the forms have been signed by the traveler’s Department Chair and Dean (or comparable supervisors), the traveler and/or their department contact will attach the paperwork to a Travel Authorization in the T&E module on PeopleSoft. This step is obligatory, so that the Controller’s Office can keep track of who is approved to travel and is eligible for reimbursement. Contact in the Controller’s Office with questions.Top of page

6. How do I know if my paperwork has been received and approved?

   i.  Pre-approval

  • Faculty/staff: once paperwork is received by the Office of Study Abroad and International Travel (OSAIT) via the T&E module on PeopleSoft, we will send out an email from pre-approving the traveler to purchase airfare and lodging.
  • Students: once the paperwork has been received through the account, we will send out an email pre-approving the traveler to purchase airfare and lodging.

   ii. Full approval

For all travelers, when all information is received in the OSAIT, we will send out the full Provost approval email and the Provost designee will sign off on the paperwork. Top of page

7. Why is the international travel process split into the pre-approval and full approval two-step process?

Certain countries require additional steps and/or permissions due to governmental warnings or sanctions (See # 8 below). In the past, travelers purchased airfare and made lodging arrangements before receiving approval and had their requests denied. Top of page

8. Why does travel to certain countries require additional steps?

Travel to countries on the US Department of State’s (DOS) Travel Warning list, the Department of Treasury’s Sanctions list, and the CDC’s Level 2 & 3 Travel Alert list require additional steps for health, safety, and legal reasons. The additional steps are outlined in this flowchart. Top of page

9. What about countries that are under a travel alert from the DOS or are on the CDC Level 1 list?

There are no additional steps for countries under a travel alert only or are on the CDC Level 1 list. Top of page

10. Where can I find the Provost forms?      Top of page

11. Where can I find instructions on the international travel forms?
   Top of page

12. Where can I find instructions and forms for faculty-led group trips?   Top of page

13. Where can I find instructions for students traveling for non-study abroad purposes?

14. Who needs to file a passport copy with their paperwork and do you keep copies on file?

Every traveler should carry a copy of their passport with them (in a separate location from their passport!) and leave a copy with a US emergency contact in case their passport gets lost or stolen. Guidelines on appropriate passport copies can be found on the group trip page.

As of May 15, 2015, the OSAIT only requires passport copies for all student travelers. Faculty and staff are NOT required to submit a copy of their passport. Since passports are sensitive, confidential documents, the copies are shredded once the travelers return. Top of page

15. Do I need to file international travel forms for Puerto Rico?

No. Travelers going to a U.S. Territory (Puerto Rico, Guam, US Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Northern Mariana Islands) should follow domestic travel procedures. However, CISI insurance is available for purchase for these locations. Top of page

16. Do I need to file international travel forms for Canada?

Yes. Since Canada now requires a passport for all U.S. citizens to enter the country, the forms are also required. Top of page

17. Are there additional steps needed for travel to Mexico?

The Mexico Travel Warning is divided by state. When a Mexican state is listed as “no advisory is in effect,” no additional documentation is required. Top of page

18. I just found out that I will be traveling and I’m not within the 20 day limit. What should I do?

We are flexible! Email or call 852-0374 and we will do what we can to work with you. Top of page

Top of page


1. Who should I list as my department contact on the Request for Authorization for Out of Country Travel form?

You should list the person in your department who will help you navigate through the reimbursement process. This person will be copied on all pre-approval and approval messages. Do NOT list yourself. Top of page

2. Some of the items on the Release and Assumption of Risk form do not apply to me. Why is this?

The Student and Faculty & Staff Release and Assumption of Risk forms were combined so that we could have one form for all travelers and to include community members. By checking the appropriate box at the top of the form, you are only agreeing to the conditions that pertain to your role. Top of page

3. Can I cross out, add comments, or edit the forms?

These forms are written in conjunction with and vetted through other offices on campus, such as the Controller’s Office, Legal, and Export Control. Please contact us if you have questions or think something in a form may not apply to you. If you make any changes to a form, it will delay the processing of your request. Top of page

4. What do I put on the “School/Department” line on the Release and Assumption of Risk form?

Travelers should indicate their department name or unit they belong to (School of Medicine, Office of the Provost, etc.) Top of page

5. What should I put on the “Program Name” line on the Release and Assumption of Risk form?

Travelers should either put the name of the activity they are participating in abroad or their general purpose (research, teaching, conference name, etc.) Top of page

6. Do you keep any forms on file?

We keep the Emergency Information sheet on file. You only have to file it once unless your emergency contact information changes. Top of page

7. On the Emergency Information sheet, who should I list as my department emergency contacts?

The first person you should list is your department chair or your supervisor if you do not have a department chair. The second can be a colleague. In many cases, travelers will list the same person their department contact from their Request for Authorization of Out of Country Travel Form. Top of page

8. Who should I list as my personal emergency contacts?

Please list someone you would be comfortable with us contacting in case of emergency who will be in the US during your trip. Please do not list someone who is traveling with you. Top of page

9. What should I do if my trip includes personal time?

On the Request for Authorization of Out-of-Country Travel form, list the dates of your personal time in the box that asks for this information. We will not need to keep any flight or lodging information on file for personal travel. Please see the insurance section below for information on coverage during personal time.

If your trip is a multi-destination trip, you do not need to include the locations of personal travel in the “destination” box. (However, if your return flight departs from a different country than you have marked on your form, we may ask you to verify that you are there on personal time). Top of page

10. What kind of information are you looking for when you ask for flight and lodging information?

All dates, flight numbers, and airports of business-related travel. This includes your transatlantic and transpacific flights. We do not need the cost of the flight. This information should be included in your itinerary from the company, but here is an example of the bare minimum:

9/12: SDF-ORD AA 555; ORD-CDG AA 25

9/15: CDG-ORD AA 92; ORD-SDF AA 539

If you are staying in a hotel, the name of the hotel, and, when possible, an address and telephone number for the hotel.
If you are staying in another sort of lodging (family member’s home, university dorms, etc): The address and phone number of the lodging. Top of page

11. Why do you need my lodging information?

In case of emergency, it is important for us to have a physical address on file. In addition, we need a secondary method of contacting you. We will always email first.Top of page


1. I have medical insurance through the University. Why am I required to purchase CISI?

The travel insurance offered through MetLife is minimal and must be arranged through AXA. It includes limited emergency medical insurance but not political or natural disaster evacuation or repatriation of remains. It is only valid for 120 days; for longer trips such as sabbaticals, coverage would cease after this period. Top of page

2. What does CISI cover?

Coverage information and CISI FAQs can be found here:   Top of page

3. Where/How can I purchase CISI?

  • In the International Center, or by calling the front desk at 502-852-0374. We accept Cardinal Cash only, for faculty this is your EmpiID card.
  • If your department is able, payment can be made by following the instructions found under the “insurance” section of the Provost International Travel Page.

In either case, the traveler or their department contact will be asked to provide some basic information (DOB, email, etc.) to be enrolled in CISI. Top of page

4. How are insurance payments processed?

After you or your department purchases CISI through the OSAIT, your information is uploaded to our CISI portal, and they send you a confirmation email. Please allow 5-10 business days for this process. If you are paying with department funds, your IUT or JV is sent to our Business Ops office for processing. Top of page

5. What are CISI rates?

CISI is $16.95 per week.  Top of page

6. How do I make sure I pay the correct amount for CISI?

Here is a date duration calculator that will tell you how many weeks, months, or days are between two dates. This has helped our office double-check our week-counting or to see if a period of time could be charged at the monthly rate. Top of page

7. Will CISI cover my personal time?

No. The traveler is required to be covered for their flights to and from their destination and the time they will be “working,” but not for personal time. Additional personal coverage is available through CISI’s sister company CareMed. Please e-mail the CareMed Team in Germany at: or +49(0)228-5554900 with any questions. Please note that the rates will be different, as UofL has a contract with CISI. Top of page

8. If something happens and I need to use my insurance, what should I do?

You will receive a confirmation email once your CISI enrollment has been processed. As part of that email, you will have a printable card and access to the CISI application available through your phone’s app store.

CISI should be your first line of contact when you need help abroad. When it is a non-emergency situation, such as a cold, you could seek care first, then call the number on your card to open a case, or you can call them up front. There are claim forms found on the website for when you pay out of pocket:

Please note that if you do not notify CISI of your situation or disregard their counsel, there is no guarantee of coverage. For example, if you have to fly home due to a family emergency, this travel must be arranged through CISI.

When possible and appropriate, please email Virginia Hosono, Director Study Abroad and International Travel and of your situation. In some cases we can help coordinate state-side as time differences may prove problematic. Top of page

9. When the CISI registration information asks for “country of origin”, what does that mean?

In this case, “country of origin” refers to which country’s passport you are carrying, not the country from which your plane departs. Top of page

10. Does the International Center make money from selling CISI?

No. The rates travelers are charged is the rate CISI charges the University. Top of page

Group Trips

The OSAIT along with other International Offices on campus are currently drafting a manual for faculty-led group trips. When it is available, this document will be updated to include an active link to the manual. In the meantime, if you are interested in setting up a new group trip, please contact us.

1. What are some responsibilities of the faculty lead?

  i.  Before departure:

  • Check to be sure that the country where you are traveling is not on the Travel Warning list, the  CDC Level 2 & 3 Travel Alert list, or the Sanctions list. (See # 3 below for further instructions).
  • Notify both your department and Virginia Hosono, Director for Study Abroad and International Travel, as early in the planning process as possible to ensure you follow all departmental and UofL policies.
  • Ensure all required documentation is received in the International Center for all travelers on the trip 30 days prior to departure. Forms and instructions are found here:
  •     Meet with students 2-3 times, including at least one detailed, mandatory orientation session.
  •     If this trip is for credit, work with your departmental contact to ensure all students are enrolled.
  •     Read the University’s International Travel Crisis Management Protocol
  •     Other duties as required by your department/college/unit. This list provides an overview only.

 ii. During the trip:

  •     The Faculty lead is an active role. They should oversee all aspects of the students’ academic progress, health, and safety while abroad.
  •     Be near and available to students 24/7.
  •     Follow procedure outlined in #2 in case of emergency. Faculty lead(s) may be held liable if the procedure is not followed.
  •     Other duties as necessary. This list provides an overview only. Top of page

2. What should I do in case of emergency abroad?

The International Travel Crisis Management Protocol includes detailed information on how situations should be handled. It also details what is an emergency and what is not. Faculty leads should read and follow the policy, which includes:

  •     Contact CISI on behalf of a student in cases of medical and mental health emergencies.
  •     Contact the University.

The fastest way to inform the university is to call DPS +011-1-502-852-6111. Then, email Virginia Hosono, Director Study Abroad and International Travel cc: and your department chair/contact(s).

  • If the emergency situation involves a student, a faculty/staff lead or other designated responsible party must stay with the student, while securing the safety of the other students in the group.

 3. What should I do when the country is on the Travel Warning list,  CDC Level 2 & 3 Travel Alert list, or Sanctions list?

4. What happens if my group leaves without Provost approval?

Most importantly, it is university policy for all travelers to file international travel forms. Additionally, if an emergency situation were to arise, the International Center would not have the information they need to contact the travelers, the faculty/staff lead(s) may not be covered by worker’s compensation or the university’s liability insurance, and students may not have the necessary international travel insurance. The lead could be held liable for any student emergency or consequences from missing information in the International Center. Lastly, the group leader may not be reimbursed for expenses. Top of page

Who should I contact?

Email  Rebecca Dixon:
General procedures
General status questions
CDC Level 2 questions

Email  Melissa Lee:
CISI insurance registration questions

Email  Virginia Hosono:
Travel Warning/ CDC Level 3 Countries
Group trip planning resources
Emergencies while abroad
CISI coverage or policy questions

 Dawn Clements, Controller’s Office:
T&E module in PeopleSoft

Email  Will Metcalf, Director of Export and Secure Research Compliance
Travel to U.S. Department of Treasury Sanctions List Countries

Email  Study Abroad Service Account
Students who are unsure if their experience qualifies as study abroad

Still have questions? Send us an email or call our front desk at 852-0374! Top of page