FAQ's for prospective students

What can I do with a master's degree in political science?

An MA in Political Science is a great resume builder. With the knowledge, skills, experiences, and professional connections you gain in our program, you will be prepared for a range of careers. Our alums have gone on to careers in government, the non-profit sector, journalism, and higher education administration, among others. Some of our alums have gone on to law school and have built successful careers in the legal profession. Finally, some of our alums have gone on to PhD programs and to careers in academia.

With an MA degree, you will have more career opportunities. In fact, more than 20 percent of open positions in the U.S. economy prefer or require graduate level education. You will also have increased earning potential, as advanced degree holders earn 30 percent more than those with only a bachelor’s degree.

What are the admission requirements?

Please see the how to apply tab on the left.

Is there any financial assistance available?

Graduate students are eligible for a small number of graduate assistantships, as well as scholarships. Please see the Graduate Assistantships and Scholarships tab. 

Do I need to take the GRE to be admitted?

The GRE is not required for acceptance.

Are there any online graduate classes available?

Please be aware that this Master's program requires students to take all core classes in person, and that there are not hybrid offerings at this time. However, there may be online electives you can take in other departments.

Can I enroll part-time?

Yes. You can take as little as one class per semester as long as you maintain continuous enrollment in the program and finish your degree in six years.

Can I earn graduate credits as an undergrad?

The Accelerated Masters program allows students to get a head start on the MA degree while completing their BA or BS in Political Science. Students apply to the graduate program when they have about 60-80 hours. They can take up to 12 hours of graduate coursework. Those credits apply both to the BA/BS in Political Science and to the MA degree, and they are charged at the undergraduate tuition rate. This option allows students to finish the MA degree in two or three semesters after finishing their BA/BS in Political Science.

Please see the Degree Programs Tab for more information. 

Can I combine a JD and MA degree in political science?

The Louis D. Brandeis School of Law and the Department of Political Science of the College of Arts and Sciences and the Graduate School have developed a program for interdisciplinary studies that will result in dual degrees in Law and Political Science.

Student participating in the dual degree program will be able to combine Law courses and Political Science courses to create well-defined concentrations of study. Examples include environmental law and politics, negotiations and dispute resolution, administrative law and politics, federalism, international law and politics, comparative law and politics, civil rights and liberties, constitutional law and politics, and race, law, and politics.

Students in the JD/MA program must complete 81 hours in the JD curriculum (instead of the normal 90 hours) and either 21 hours in the MA curriculum (instead of the normal 30 hours) for the Thesis Option or 27 hours in the MA curriculum (instead of the normal 36 hours) for the Non-thesis Option.

To prevent problems with class registration, once a student has been admitted to BOTH the MA in Political Science and the JD at Brandeis School of Law, they must send an email to the Registrar's office notifying them that they are a dual program student (MA/JD). Students should include their UofL ID number. Here is the email address:  Register@louisville.edu 

Students must also inform their academic advisors in the law school that they are a dual degree student.

Please note that professional school tuition (including law) is charged at a different rate than other graduate tuition and is subject to different rules related to in-state and out-of-state tuition for residents of neighboring states. Visit the Bursar's Office website for more information. MA-JD students are only eligible for graduate assistantships for the year that such students are taking classes fully in the Masters program and cannot be used for their time in the law school, because of the differential tuition rates and program requirements.

Please email Dr. Moyer with any questions.

Can I count credits in a U of L certificate program toward my master's in political science?

Yes, students may be able to apply some or all credits in 500 or 600 level classes taken as part of a UofL certificate program toward their Master's degree, subject to approval by the grad director and the College of Arts & Sciences.

Are application fee waivers available for international students?

No, international students are not eligible for application fee waivers. However, application fee waivers are available for active-duty military and veterans, as well as individuals who are receiving public assistance. McNair Scholars from other universities also may have their application fee waived. In the online application process, you will be prompted for this information and to provide documentation.

Have a question you think should be added to this list? Contact us at ! We love hearing from students and we want to make sure you have everything you need.

Take me back to the Graduate homepage.