The Dean of the School of Medicine is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the academic mission and achieving the objectives associated with the school’s four planning pillars which are education, research, clinical care, and community engagement.
- Ensuring the quality of trainees (medical students, graduate students, residents, fellows, and postdoctoral trainees);
- Maintaining and enhancing undergraduate, graduate, graduate medical education, and continuing medical educating, including providing coordinated oversight of the curriculum and curricular change;
- Overseeing the SOM research agenda including fostering of interdisciplinary programs, basic research, clinical research, and translational research;
- Ensuring the clinical environment provides high quality patient care and is conducive to appropriate integration of the educational and research programs;
- Assuring active engagement and collaboration with community partners to improve health through partnership, outreach, health advocacy, and engaged scholarship;
- Promoting a community of diverse faculty, residents, students, and staff;
Infrastructure and Leadership:
- Preparing and administering the budget of the School;
- Developing and maintaining good relationships with students/trainees, faculty, staff, and alumni;
- Fostering professionalism, diversity, and a positive work/learning environment.