The “Global Studies" Major in the College of Arts and Sciences, like all Individualized Majors, is a Bachelor of Arts degree, and includes 12 credit hours of a foreign language as part of its programmatic requirements. As an interdisciplinary major, “Global Studies” enables students to select specific blocks of courses that are most meaningful to them and to their prospective careers.
Designing a Global Studies Curriculum
1. Creating an “Individualized Major” is an intensive process involving the student as well as our Academic Counselor and Program Director.
2. The core of each “Global Studies” major must be an approved Minor in the College of Arts and Sciences. The choice depends upon the student’s own interests and goals. Appropriate Minors include:
- Classical and Modern Languages
- Political Science
- and many others
3. In addition to the Minor, each student’s “Global Studies” curriculum must include at least two additional blocks of courses from other departments or programs. One block may be transferred from an institution outside UofL. Options in the College of Arts & Sciences include the following programs:
- Asian Studies
- Latin American and Latino Studies
- Middle East and Islamic Studies
- Russian Studies
- Pan-African Studies
- Peace, Justice, and Conflict Transformation certificate
4. “Global Studies” majors are encouraged to engage in experiential education through the Cooperative Internship program. Academic credit is awarded for such work-study experiences through the course LBST 400.
To get started, contact an academic counselor.
Academic Counselor Sr.
Send an email