An IRS Tax Return Transcript includes most of the line items of a tax return as filed with the IRS and it contains the required items to complete the FAFSA tax/income verification process.
Who is required to submit this document?
An IRS tax return transcript is only required if:
- Your FAFSA has been selected for verification. Please check your ULink Financial Aid To-Do list for a Verification form. AND,
- Your verification form indicates an IRS Tax Return Transcript can be submitted.
If you have a Verification Form on your ULink To-Do List and it requests an IRS Tax Return Transcript for you and/or your parent(s), please see the information below:
How do I obtain the IRS Tax Return Transcript for submission?
Tax filers can request a transcript of their tax return from the IRS, free of charge:
- The 2020-2021 Verification form will request tax/income information for the 2018 tax year.
- The 2019-2020 Verification form will request tax/income information for the 2017 tax year.
Online Request (IRS Website)
- Available on the IRS website
- Click the Get your tax record link on the home page.
- Choose the Get Transcript Online or Get Transcript by Mail option.
- Make sure to request the "Return Transcript" and NOT the "Account Transcript".
- Please ensure you enter the tax year requested on your verification form.
- Please make a copy, write your student ID number on the tax return transcript, and submit it to the Student Financial Aid Office with your verification form via fax, mail, or in-person. DO NOT email the form or transcript.