An IRS Tax Return Transcript includes most of the line items of a tax return as filed with the IRS, and it contains the required items to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) verification process.
Who is required to submit this document?
An IRS tax return transcript is only required if:
- Your FAFSA has been selected for verification. Please check your ULink ‘Task’ list for a verification form. AND,
- Your verification form indicates an IRS Tax Return Transcript can be submitted.
If you have a Verification Form on your ULink ‘Task’ list and it requests an IRS Tax Return Transcript for you and/or your parent(s), please see the information below:
- The 2023-2024 Verification form will request tax/income information for the 2021 tax year.
- The 2022-2023 Verification form will request tax/income information for the 2020 tax year.
How do I obtain the IRS Tax Return Transcript for submission?
Tax filers can request a transcript of their tax return, free of charge.
Please contact UofL’s Student Financial Aid Office at 502.852.5511 during office hours if the IRS request options below do not work or if you have any questions.
1. Online Request (IRS Website)
- Available on the IRS website.
- Click the Get your Tax Record link on the home page.
- Choose the Get Transcript Online or Get Transcript by Mail option.
- Sign in with an existing account or create a new account utilizing the options provided by the IRS.
- Once logged in, select Higher Education/Student Aid from the drop-down menu and click Go. You do not need to enter a customer file number to make the request.
- Make sure to request the Tax Return Transcript and NOT the Account Transcript.
- Please ensure you enter the tax year requested on your verification form.
- Please make a copy, write your student ID number on the Tax Return Transcript, and submit it to UofL’s Student Financial Aid Office with your verification form via the ULink Financial Aid Document Upload process or by mail, in person, or by fax. DO NOT email the verification form or the transcript.
2. Telephone Request (IRS Transcript Request Line)
- Available from the IRS by calling 1.800.908.9946.
- Follow prompts to request an IRS Wage and Income Transcript.
- Enter the tax year requested on your verification form.
- If successfully validated, you can expect to receive the transcript at the address provided in the telephone request within 5 to 10 business days from the date of the request
- Please make a copy, write your student ID number on the Wage and Income Transcript, and submit it to UofL’s Student Financial Aid Office with your verification form via the ULink Financial Aid Document Upload process or by mail, in person, or by fax. DO NOT email the verification form or the transcript.
3. Postal Mail Request (IRS Request Form 4506-T)
- If you are unable to request this document online or by phone, please complete a 4506-T form to request it by mail. Please click here for detailed instructions on how to complete IRS Form 4506-T to request a Tax Return Transcript.