Federal Perkins Loan
The Federal Perkins Loan is a low-interest (5%) federal student loan. It is a campus-based loan, and the University of Louisville is the lender. Awards from this loan are made to students based on financial need. Receiving this award may depend on when you file your FAFSA, your level of financial need, and availability of funding.
Step By Step Perkins Loan Instructions
You must file a FAFSA to have your Perkins loan eligibility evaluated. If offered a Perkins loan:
- You may initially accept, reduce, or decline the Perkins Loan on ULink using the option Accept/Decline Financial Aid under the Financial Aid section on the Student Services tab. You may review your student account activity on ULink using the option Account under the Tuition, Fees, Payment Options section on the Student Services tab. For assistance with ULink, review our ULink Financial Aid tutorials.
- If you are accepting the Perkins Loan, you must be enrolled at least half-time in a UofL eligible degree program or approved non-degree status for the funds to disburse to your account. Half-time for undergraduates is 6 hours.
- If you are a first-time Perkins Loan borrower at UofL, you must complete both an Entrance Counseling session and a Perkins Master Promissory Note. These can be completed on the .
- Use the Federal Perkins Loan Repayment Calculator to see what your repayment will look like.
- The Perkins Loan interest rate is fixed at 5%. If you are enrolled at least half-time, you have nine months after you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time status before you must begin repayment.