How To Apply


Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
The FAFSA is an annual application used for students seeking federal, state and some institutional financial aid. The FAFSA should be filed each October 1 for the next year.

Steps for Applicants:

  1. Assemble your tax and income information, such as your W2s and 1040s.
  2. Create a FSA ID. The FSA ID allows you to sign your FAFSA electronically. If parent information is required in the filing process, your parent will need to create an FSA ID. The FSA ID also give you access to other Federal Student Aid online systems.
  3. Go to to file your FAFSA. Our FAFSA school code is 001999.
  4. Once your FAFSA is processed by the U.S. Department of Education, you will be sent a Student Aid Report (SAR), which is a summary of the FAFSA information you submitted.
  5. When you receive your SAR, review it carefully to make sure the information is correct and complete. Keep a copy for your records. If you find a mistake with your information you will need to correct or update the FAFSA online. Once you have been awarded aid, please contact our office if a correction needs to be made.


Federal Student Aid, an office of the U.S. Department of Education, offers several YouTube videos about the FAFSA application process.

Financial Aid: Start-to-Finish
For detailed instructions on applying for aid at the University of Louisville, be sure to view Financial Aid: Start-to-Finish to help you navigate the financial aid process.

If you have not already done so, apply for admission to UofL.


Fall & Spring

  • The Priority date to have a completed file for fall is early July, however due to limited funding for some programs, students are encouraged to apply and complete their financial aid file as soon as possible. A completed financial aid file includes an official processed FAFSA, and all requested documents. If you have scholarships and/or other financial aid resources from outside sources, please notify the Student Financial Aid Office. If your file becomes complete after early July, you may not have anticipated aid awarded to settle all or a portion of your fall bill with the bursar so you will need to settle your charges through other means. Other methods for settling your account are available on the Bursar's Office website.

Spring Only


  • Prior to having federal aid eligibility evaluated, transfer or newly admitted spring-only students must have a completed financial aid file, be enrolled in classes at UofL, and have canceled any pending financial aid at other institutions. If you completed a FAFSA for the applicable aid year already, add UofL (school code 001999).
  • Spring 2017 Award Information is available under My Award Letter.


  • At the University of Louisville, summer is considered a trailer of the preceding academic year. The FAFSA of the preceding academic year will be used to determine your aid eligibility. For example for summer 2017, the 2016-2017 FAFSA is used to determine eligibility. If required, all other verification forms and requested documents must be completed. In addition, in order to request as early review of your summer federal aid eligibility, you cannot be waitlisted in any summer course, and you must be currently meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  • The Early Request for Summer Federal Aid will be made availbale on your ULINK account soon after summer registration begins. Do not complete the request until you have finalized your summer enrollment. If you submit the form before you finalize your summer enrollment for all summer terms, the evaluation of your summer aid may be delayed.
  • During summer, federal financial assistance is available to eligible applicants who have remaining Pell Grant, TEACH, and/or Direct Loan eligibility. Parents of undergraduate, dependent students can also apply for the Parent PLUS Loan. If funding is available, a limited number of Federal Work-Study awards may be made. Graduate/professional students can apply for the Graduate/Professional PLUS Loan. Please familiarize yourself with the federal annual loan limits.
  • In order to have your Pell Grant eligibility evaluated, you must be enrolled in at least one credit hour as an eligible UofL degree-seeking undergraduate student.
  • To receive federal loan(s) and/or Work-Study , you must meet all eligibility criteria and be enrolled at least half-time as an eligible UofL degree-seeking student. During summer, half-time is defined as 6 hours for Undergraduate students and 3 hours for Graduate/Professional students. For additional information on loans, please visit our loans web page. To have your federal loan eligibility evaluated, the Early Request for Summer Federal Aid must be completed.