Counseling Services are available at no charge to currently enrolled students at the Belknap Counseling Center and the Health Sciences Campus (HSC) Counseling Office.
Belknap Counseling Center
Although not part of Campus Health Services, the Belknap Counseling Center works closely with our primary care and psychiatric providers. For more information regarding the Belknap Counseling Center please click here.
Health Sciences Campus Counseling Office
The Health Sciences Center Counseling Office offers short-term individual counseling, group counseling, and psychological assessment. Students seek support through counseling for a variety of reasons, including psychological, personal/social, academic, and/or career concerns. If you are experiencing any of these concerns and/or would like to connect with a counselor, please call Campus Health Services at 502-852-6446 to set up an appointment.
These services are offered to students in the following schools and programs:
- School of Medicine
- School of Dentistry
- School of Nursing
- School of Public Health and Informational Sciences
- Resident Physicians and Dental Fellows
- IPIBS/Graduate students on the HSC Campus, including post-doctorate students who are not classified as employees under U of L Human Resources.
- Students in the audiology program and the speech and language pathology program
The HSC Counseling Office also provides consultation with faculty and staff regarding student concerns, outreach, training, and advocacy to the University of Louisville community.
Change of provider requests HSC Counseling
We understand that sometimes you may not feel comfortable speaking with a particular clinician. Clinicians are people with unique personalities like anyone else, and sometimes you and the clinician may not be a good fit. If you would like to request a change of clinician, you have several options. You may speak directly with your current clinician to let them know you would like to request a transfer. They will assist you in scheduling with a different clinician and discuss other on and off campus resource options. If you do not feel comfortable with this option, you may call Campus Health and request to schedule with a new clinician or speak with the Counseling Center Manager who will assist you. If a student requests more than one transfer to a new clinician during their course of treatment, those requests are directed to the Counseling Center Manager who will help you in determining the next best options available to ensure your treatment needs are met. Ultimately, we do not want any barriers to you receiving the care you deserve.
- Services are FREE for all University of Louisville HSC students.
- Access to service is VOLUNTARY. Some administration policies will allow faculty and staff to recommend strongly that a student meet with an HSC counselor or physician, but each student can discuss with a dean's representative his or her choice to refuse the referral.
We respect students' privacy, so all communication within the HSC Counseling Office is confidential, with a few exceptions. These exceptions are:
- when the information relates to clear and imminent danger to an individual,
- when a state law requires the reporting of information (threats of violence, child abuse or neglect, spouse abuse), and
- when information is requested by court order. Any disclosure in these situations will be made to an appropriate authority and will be limited to material directly pertinent to the issue involved.
Please note that we will not release any information obtained through interviews, counseling sessions, or testing without the written permission of a client.
IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING A LIFE-THREATENING EMERGENCY, please contact the following:
- Emergency Psychiatric Services (EPS) - 502-562-3120 Caller should identify self as associated with U of L and ask to speak to a clinician. Follow any instructions exactly.
- 911: Follow any instructions exactly.
- See https://louisville.edu/counseling/emergencies or http://louisville.edu/campushealth/emergencies/mental-health for further information.