Faculty-Led Study Abroad Guidelines
The following guidelines apply to all College of Arts and Sciences Faculty-led Programs. These guidelines are designed to ensure the academic integrity and thoroughness of preparation for all study abroad programs. No study abroad program will have approval of A&S College unless all procedures have been followed. Also, no group trip is considered approved by the University of Louisville until all required documents have been completed and submitted to the DECC Office and International Center.
Primary Contact for the DECC Office: Ramonia Brents, DECC Coordinator, at 852-8041 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Travel Payments/Payables: Robin Carroll, Unit Business Manager (UBMI), at email@example.com
Travel Arrangements: Dawn Clements, Financial Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submit the request to the department chair for the program approval at least six (6) months prior to the intended start date. Approvals must include the program proposal, course information/syllabi, tentative program budget, and compensation. The department chair approvals must be submitted directly to the DECC Office for review and approval by the DECC Associate Dean.
- Schedule a joint meeting with the DECC Coordinator and Unit Business Manager in the Dean’s Office. The purpose is to discuss the course registration, payt dates, and other programmatic details.
- Submit the finalized budget, course registration information, program brochures and/or flyers directly to the DECC Office for review and approval by the DECC Associate Dean.
- Begin the recruitment process. The DECC Coordinator will assist with recruitment by posting program brochures and/or flyers and other programmatic details on the A&S Study Abroad website and other communication channels.
- Complete the Faculty-led Group Trip forms. Then, submit to the DECC Coordinator for processing.
PLEASE NOTE: December 15 is the deadline for submitting initial travel paperwork for study abroad. All required paperwork for study abroad travels for faculty must be submitted no later than March 15.
- Work with the Financial Coordinator to arrange cash advances, payments to vendors, flight/hotel reservations and CISI travel insurance. These costs must be reflected in the budget submitted during Step #3. Additionally, notify the Financial Coordinator of the exact amount of scholarship for each student and the date the scholarship should be posted to each student account.
- Contact the DECC Coordinator to confirm the exact date students will be enrolled in course(s).You will be notified when enrollment is complete and update you on student payments upon request.
- Schedule date for the completion of student travel paperwork. The DECC Coordinator will visit the class/orientation on confirmed date to distribute and collect required forms. PLEASE NOTE: Students should NOT turn individual forms to the DECC Office NOR the International Center. Initial travel paperwork for students must be submitted by March 15. If recruitment for your program extends beyond this deadline, additional paperwork will be accepted. However, if the program does not reach a minimum enrollment of 10 students by March 15, it may be canceled.
- Ensure that all faculty, staff, and students have purchased CISI travel insurance and submitted missing travel forms to the DECC Coordinator. For group trips, the faculty/staff lead is required to submit a completed Personal Emergency Action Plan (PEAP) form – the link to the PDF form is found at Faculty-led Group Trips — as part of required paperwork.
- Submit a Final Report to the DECC Office. This should occur no later than 30 days after the end of your program. The report should include photographs or media for use on the A&S website and in other promotional materials. This final report will be shared with the department chair to aid in future planning.