Interns and residents receive four weeks vacation upon approval of the unit director. The dates will be determined by the administrative chief resident who may also consult the attending staff. This vacation may be divided into as many as two parts.
Malpractice coverage is provided by U of L, VAH, or private affiliated hospitals under terms of your contract. However, this coverage does not apply to any off-duty activities of employment.
Single and family coverage is available to all residents. You may sign up for insurance at General Orientation. For more information, call 852-6555.
Each resident receives, free of charge, life insurance for the value of twice the annual salary. Workers compensation, accidental death and dismemberment insurance are also provided. For details, call U of L 852-7105.
Each member of the house staff has the following privileges:
- Medical School library usage; photocopy at minimum charge; research librarian assistance
- Faculty discount for higher priced seats for football games
- Free membership to Health Sciences Campus Fitness Center located in the parking garage
- A free annual PPD may be obtained from the Student Health Services, first floor of ACB, every weekday except Thursdays, 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Free U of L parking stickers (details in General Orientation).
- One lab coat provided for each new resident
- Dedicated resident computer work stations are located in the residency office and department library
- The Department of Emergency Medicine Library has a collection of textbooks and journals in emergency medicine and other specialties. Residents are welcome to borrow these materials. The lending procedure is based on the honor system
In order to receive any of the above-listed fringe benefits, each resident must have a University identification card, issued on Orientation day.
The Department of Emergency pays for resident membership to the following organizations:
- American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP)
- Kentucky College of Emergency Physicians (KCEP)
- American Association of Emergency Medicine (AAEM)
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM)
All memberships include journal subscription. Please visit individual organization websites (appendix) for additional benefits.
Any resident presenting a paper at an approved national or regional meeting may have travel defrayed by the department. Please contact Carolyn Gunn for the rules and regulations regarding travel.
|Resident Stipend Rates|
|PG Level||Annual Rate||Monthly Rate|
|PG 1||1 month|
|PG 2||1 month|
|PG 3||1 month|
(1 week each ED month;
1 week PEDS ME)