The Department of Emergency Medicine (DEM) at the University of Louisville participates in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) developed by the Association of American Medical Colleges. This service transmits residency applications, letters of recommendation, Dean’s letters, transcripts, USMLE scores, and other supporting credentials from the applicants and medical schools via the Internet.
The applications are downloaded from the Internet to compile a folder with the applicant’s information. The Program Directors screen applicant files and select approximately 100 applicants to interview based on their accomplishments in medical school and letters of recommenda¬tion.
Approximately 12 applicant interview dates are held between November and February. Applicants arrive the day before for an informal reception with residents. The Program Director gives an overview of the program to the group of applicants. Each applicant will have three half-hour sessions with assigned faculty and resident interviewers. Written interview evaluations become part of the applicant’s folder. Applicants are invited to attend the weekly didactic conference, daily walk rounds, and observe emergency patient care to experience further our training environment.
Each applicant’s folder is thoroughly reviewed and discussed by the faculty at a February ranking meeting. Applicants are ranked in the order agreed upon by the faculty and chief residents. After the rank order list is generated, it is certified and submitted to the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) via the Internet.
We accept applications only through ERAS. Requirements for application are as follows:
- 3 Standard Letters of Evaluation (SLOE) encouraged
- If you have completed an EM rotation, it is recommended that you have a letter sent from the rotation
- Step 1 and Step 2 USMLE Transcript
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (Dean's Letter)
- Medical School Transcript
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement
- ECFMG Status Report (if applicable)
It is not necessary to have your application complete by September 15th in order for interviews to be granted. It is not uncommon to have outstanding letters of recommendation during these early months of interview season. However, please complete your ERAS as soon as possible. An incomplete application will affect your possible ranking in February.
Please report to the lobby of the University Hospital between 8:30–8:45AM, at 530 S. Jackson Street by entering under the Pedway. Please ask the person at the desk in the lobby of the hospital to call the Department of Emergency Medicine office at 852-5689 so that one of us can come to escort you to our Academic offices, Room C1H17.
After a brief administrative session with Robin Thixton, Dr. Melissa Platt, the Program Director, will provide a 45-minute program orientation session and Q&A. The interviewees will then join the faculty and residents for the 10AM Core Conference. A buffet lunch will be served from 11-11:30AM. A series of faculty-resident interview sessions immediately follow and continue until about 3PM. A guided, 20-minute facility tour follows. The rest of the afternoon is free for city investigation, ER observation, or napping!
Park in the UL Outpatient parking garage on Chestnut Street in the patient parking section, and bring the ticket to our office for validation.
This is the only garage for which we validate. A map to the Health Science Campus is located here.
DIRECTIONS TO THE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISVILLE HOSPITAL AND UL OUTPATIENT PARKING GARAGE ON CHESTNUT ST.
- FROM I-65 SOUTH: Take the Brook/Jefferson St. Exit ramp, and follow the Jefferson St. Division. Proceed West on Jefferson to First St. and turn left. Continue South on First St. and turn left onto Chestnut St. (One-way East) Continue East on Chestnut St. to the UL OUT PATIENT PARKING GARAGE., the entrance is on the right. The next street is Jackson St. which is one-way North and the hospital is on the right.
- FROM I-65 NORTH: Take the Broadway exit. You actually exit onto Brook St. Go straight (North) on Brook past Broadway. Turn right onto Chestnut St. Continue East on Chestnut and the UL OUT PATIENT PARKING GARAGE is on the right. The next street is Jackson St. which is one-way North and the hospital is on the right.
- FROM I-71 SOUTH: Take I-65 South to the Brook/Jefferson St. Exit ramp, and follow the Jefferson St. Division. Proceed West on Jefferson to First St. and turn left onto Chestnut St. (one-way East). Continue East on Chestnut St. to the UL OUT PATIENT PARKING GARAGE, the entrance is on the right. The next street is Jackson St. (one-way) North and the hospital is on the right.
If you need a hotel, we can suggest the following:
HAMPTON INN - 101 E. Jefferson Street
- Rate $124 single/double occupancy
- Reservations: 502-585-2200
- Free shuttle service from airport to hotel and return.
- Free van service to hospital.
- Free breakfast and WiFi
- Cancellation by 4pm day of reservation.
MARRIOTT COURTYARD - DOWNTOWN - 100 S 2nd St.
- Rate $125 single/double occupancy
- Reservations: 502 562-0200
- Includes free breakfast and parking
- Shuttle Service from airport to hotel from 7AM - 11PM
- Shuttle service to hospital may be available.
WHEN MAKING RESERVATIONS, BE SURE TO STATE THAT YOU ARE INTERVIEWING IN THE DEPARTMENT OF EMERGENCY MEDICINE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISVILLE HOSPITAL IN ORDER TO GET THE SPECIAL RATE FOR EACH HOTEL
Some candidates have had success on Priceline.com and other such booking sites staying at great rates at the historic downtown hotels, The Camberly-Brown and the Seelbach-Hilton.
WHO TO CONTACT
If you have questions or need to cancel/reschedule your interview, please call Robin Thixton at 502-852-1273 or by email. We look forward to meeting you.