Alpha Phi Sigma
Welcome to Alpha Phi Sigma
Why should YOU join Alpha Phi Sigma?
- Recognition of Achievement: The hard work and personal sacrifice that is required to achieve scholastic excellence deserves recognition. Alpha Phi Sigma membership designates an individual as an outstanding student of criminal justice.
- Special Awards: Each year the national office awards a cash scholarship to one member. Awards are also given to students who compete in the Annual Call for Papers.
- Annual Convention: A national convention is held each year. The convention is held in conjunction with the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences (ACJS) and presents a wide range of programs and activities.
- National Newsletter: Active members receive a biannual national newsletter, which reports on areas of concern to the criminal justice sciences and the society.
Membership Requirements of Alpha Phi Sigma
- Alpha Phi Sigma is the nationally recognized honor society for students in the criminal justice sciences. To become a member, the student must have completed one-third of their total hours required for graduation and be recommended to National by the chapter advisor.
- Undergraduate students with a declared criminal justice major or minor, must have a minimum of 3.2 GPA on a 4.0 scale. The student must also have completed a minimum of four courses within the criminal justice curriculum.
- Graduate students must maintain a minimum of a 3.4 GPA on a 4.0 scale and have completed a minimum of four courses within the criminal justice curriculum.
- Law students must have completed one academic year with a 2.5 GPA
Attend four (4) activities per semester (which can include Career Fair, Alumni Tailgate, club meetings, field trips, lunch & learn series, etc.).
10 Hours of Community service per school year, 5 hours should be done with the Justice Administration Department (can include activities if service oriented).
- $50 one time national membership fee and $10 one time local membership fee. Combine the fees and make one check for $60 payable to "Justice Administration". You will receive a "free t-shirt".
- To apply, please go to our website: click on the application link below. Once completed please print out and turn in to Kim Hendricks in the Advising Office, Brigman Hall, Room 205
- Applications must be received one (1) semester prior to graduation.