Alumni Spotlight: Dillon Miles
Dillon Miles is a graduate and proud employee of the University of Louisville. He earned a degree in psychology in 2010. He currently works as a Development Associate for the University. He writes, “I am the first participant in the Grow Your Own program in University Advancement. I was exposed to every level of the development process, and now work as an Annual Fund development officer for many areas of the university. I meet prospective donors; discuss their experience at UofL, and how they would like to contribute to scholarship and programming efforts.”
Dillon hopes to continue to progress up the ladder in development in higher education and receive his Ph.D. His ultimate goal is to become the president of a university.
Regarding his A&S education Dillon says, “My courses in psychology helped to prepare me to interact with people on a daily basis. I understand the way that people think, and how important their experiences are in shaping their interest in contributing to a certain program or scholarship. It also helped me to prepare to respond to the information that I am given by a donor to meet their needs and hopefully increase their interest in becoming a donor. Using critical thinking and being able to react quickly to different circumstances are things that I learned throughout my time as an A&S student. The people that I met and worked with in A&S also helped me realize that I love this university and want to do everything I can to contribute to its continued growth!”
- I really enjoy movies and music, especially local music in Louisville.
- I really enjoy bluegrass music
- I’m a HUGE UofL sports fan. Being at the 2013 National Championship was one of the greatest experiences of my life.
- I am currently working with the St. George Community Center to create a program to teach professional etiquette.
- I am currently in the process of self-teaching myself the banjo. I am not very good.
- I was a tour guide a Jim Beam for a year before returning to UofL for my Master’s degree. Ask me anything about bourbon!