Graduate Education

Introduction to Graduate Education

Many people know that the College of Arts and Sciences (A&S) is the largest undergraduate college at UofL. However, many are surprised to find out that the College offers graduate degrees in all its departments, ranging from the masters of arts (MA), masters of science (MS), an MFA in Theatre Arts, and a Ph.D. in a number of different disciplines. Graduate certificate programs are also available. A complete listing of all graduate programs offered in the College of Arts and Sciences is found below.

The College’s goals for students are that all students undertake research so that they experience the excitement of new knowledge and change; that all students be exposed to major ethical dilemmas they will face in the world; and that all students look at the world through the eyes of someone different from themselves.

A&S Graduate Degree Programs

The College of Arts and Sciences offers 27 Masters programs, 14 Doctoral degrees, and 10 graduate certificates.

A complete listing of degree programs can be found here:

2014-2015 A&S Graduate Student Handbook

The purpose of this handbook is to give you a sense of the College of Arts and Sciences, your college, and the many facilities and activities available to you as a student at UofL. This handbook will serve as a quick access guide to information that may be of use to you while studying at the University and also includes some information about Louisville for those new to the city.

Online Petitions and Forms

Arts & Sciences Petitions and Forms are utilized to request approval for academic processes which require special consideration. There are many reasons that you may need to submit a petition or a form, and listed below are a few examples.

  • Withdrawing from a course after the deadline has passed to drop or withdraw from courses on Ulink (see the registrar's office for dates). If the deadline has not passed, then you may drop the course via Ulink in a similar fashion to how you added the class.
  • Adding a course after the deadline to add classes on Ulink has passed (usually after the first week of classes is over).

Petition and other forms are available digitally via this website. You can turn them in to Dr. Pfeffer, A&S Dean’s Office, second floor, Gardiner Hall (building #8 on the Belknap Campus map) or by email at

A&S Graduate Student Union

The GSU serves as representative body for graduate students in the College of Arts and Sciences.  Meetings are held monthly during the fall and spring semesters and more information can be found at the GSU's website.


Graduate students are expected to know what constitutes plagiarism and are expected to comply with all university rules and regulations.  UofL's Student Handbook, Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities, Section 5E, describes plagiarism in these terms:

Representing the words or ideas of someone else as one’s own in any academic exercise, such as:

  1. Submitting as one’s own a paper written by another person or by a commercial “ghost writing” service,
  2. Exactly reproducing someone else’s words without identifying the words with quotation marks or by appropriate indentation, or without properly citing the quotation in a footnote or reference.
  3. Paraphrasing or summarizing someone else’s work without acknowledging the source with a footnote or reference.
  4. Using facts, data, graphs, charts, or other information without acknowledging the source with a footnote or reference. Borrowed facts or information obtained in one’s research or reading must be acknowledged unless they are “common knowledge”. … The specific audience for which a paper is written may determine what can be viewed as “common knowledge”: for example, the facts commonly known by a group of chemists will differ radically from those known by a more general audience.


Minimum Guidelines for Graduate Study

Know that each department may establish its own minimum guidelines for its programs. These guidelines may be more rigorous than those of the College of Arts and Sciences. Check the program website for specific information.

Graduate Advising

Graduate students in the College of Arts and Sciences are usually advised by faculty in their fields, discipline and/or department. The first point of contact would be the Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) in your department. Students may also email the Associate Dean for Graduate Education for advice. Other contacts for information are available in SIGS, the School for Interdisciplinary and Graduate Education, located in the Houchens Building.

Faculty/DGS Information

Funding Opportunities

    Contact Information

    Wendy Pfeffer

    Associate Dean for Graduate Education