The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is only available for the 2023-2024 FAFSA.
If you have filed an IRS federal income tax return: You may be eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool for the 2023-2024 FAFSA, which is the best and easiest way to provide accurate tax information on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). With just a few simple steps, you can transfer your information from the IRS income tax return directly into your FAFSA.
The FAFSA IRS Data Retrieval Tool is recommended by UofL’s Student Financial Aid Office.
Instructions for Using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool
- In order to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, your IRS income tax return must be processed by the IRS.
- Log into your FAFSA.
- Choose the correct aid year FAFSA to update based on when you will be enrolled, or the aid year indicated on your verification form.
- Choose the "Make FAFSA Corrections" link.
- Navigate to the Student and/or Parent "Financial Information" section. Dependent students: please update both student and parent financial information, if needed.
- If you have filed an IRS Tax Return, select "Already Completed".
- Answer the displayed questions. If you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you will be presented with the option to automatically transfer your tax data from the IRS to your FAFSA.
- Please follow the instructions presented on the FAFSA. You will not be able to view the actual tax return items/dollar amounts, but if the FAFSA item displays, "Transferred from the IRS", the IRS data was transferred successfully. Please contact our office if you think the transferred data may be incorrect (for example, if you filed an amended tax return or had a marital status change).
- After updating the FAFSA, continue to the "Sign and Submit" section. Sign and submit the FAFSA correction. UofL will receive the results in four to five business days if our college is listed as a school choice to receive your FAFSA information.
If you do not use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer your IRS tax data to your FAFSA, you must manually update your FAFSA with your actual tax return information.
If you have any questions, you can contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1.800.433.3243). Their customer service team is a great resource and can answer questions you may have about the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.