FAQ - Graduate Research & Teaching Assistants
- Can I waive the Major Medical Insurance?
- What type of insurance plan is available to UofL students?
- Can I cover my spouse and children?
- How much does the insurance plan cost?
- When can I purchase the plan for my dependents?
- Do I need a referral?
- What happens if I am sick and need to be hospitalized or go to the emergency room?
- Does the insurance policy cover me when I am away from school?
- Does the university-sponsored plan cover me outside the United States?
- Will I get an insurance card?
- I'm enrolled in the university-sponsored plan. Now what?
- Does this plan include Dental or Vision benefits?
No, because the insurance is a benefit of your employment at the University.
The University of Louisville sponsored student injury and sickness insurance plan from Academic Health Plans provides UofL students with an affordable student health insurance plan tailored to the particular needs of UofL students. To view the insurance brochure, go to https://louisville.myahpcare.com/benefits.
Yes. See the rate chart below for information regarding the pricing. Dependents must be added during the first month of employment or by Qualifying Event. Contact the Insurance Advocate for additional information at email@example.com.
|2 or more children||$518|
Dependents need to be added during the first month of employment. You may add dependents by submitting a Dependent Enrollment form. This form is available at www.louisville.myAHPcare.com. Dependent eligibility expires concurrently with that of the insured student. Dependent children will not be seen at Campus Health, but should be seen by other network Pediatric providers. Dependents can also be added if a Qualifying Event occurs (birth, marriage, loss of job).
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information regarding this type of enrollment.
The University sponsored plan requires students and dependent spouses to use Campus Health Services for routine health care. Specialty care is provided through the Anthem BC/BS provider network. For more information visit https://louisville.myahpcare.com/benefits
Referrals are not required but are suggested because Campus Health Services can obtain appointments within the University system which decreases the cost for the student. If you have an after-hour emergency, you may use any immediate/urgent care center or emergency room. These services are subject to annual deductibles and/or copayments.
Obtaining a referral is not a guarantee of payment. Final determination of benefits is determined by the insurance company.
Students may use any of the local hospitals in the Louisville area or nationwide. However, there would be less out of pocket expense at UofL Hospital.
Yes. Using the Anthem BC/BS network will be less expensive. See the Academic Health Plans Web site for information on how to locate an Anthem provider.
Yes. Worldwide coverage and travel assistance is available including air ambulance transfer back to the United States if medically necessary. Please contact Academic Health Plans at (855) 850-4191 for more information.
International students are not covered when they require services in their home country.
Check back to this site August 1, 2020 for information on how to obtain your Anthem BC/BS insurance card.
- Before You Visit a Provider: Understand the specific procedure to follow when seeking medical treatment under your Student Health Insurance Plan. Use the Campus Health Services Offices as your primary physicians for non-emergency care.
- Call 502-852-6479 for Cardinal Station office or 502-852-6446 for the Health Science Center office.
- Customer service inquiries, including provider network questions, should be directed to Academic Health Plans by calling (855) 850-4191 or you can contact the University Insurance Advocate at 502-852-6519 or email@example.com
The Student Health Insurance Plan is medical coverage only. The university does not offer a student dental or vision plan. Academic Health Plans offers Dental and Vision plans to students who are enrolled in the university's student health insurance plan at an additional cost. See the section on Add-On Coverage Options at https://louisville.myahpcare.com/enrollment