Personal tools
You are here: Home FAQ


by jdpole01 last modified Jul 21, 2014 01:44 PM

Future UofL Students

How many credit hours do I need to transfer?
Transfer students generally must have earned 24 credit hours with a GPA of 2.0 or above. However, different colleges and programs at the University have more specific requirements. Please visit the Admission's website and read carefully:

How do I find out which classes to take for my major?
This is where your ULtra advisor can help! Make an appointment and we can help you develop an Academic Program Plan specifically for your declared major. Our advisors know which classes at JCTC have equivalents at UofL.

Do I need to declare a major before I transfer?
Not necessarily. Many students begin at JCTC with the intent of completing some of their General Education Requirements. Other students desire an Associates degree.  UofL will allow students to apply for admission without declaring a major; however these students are admitted into the College of Arts & Sciences by default. It is wise to decide on a major as soon as you can and sometimes courses in your major can double-count for General Education Requirements. If you are undecided about what to major in, some career exploration activities may be of use. The CREW Center can assist with this process because they offer the DISCOVER test, an online career assessment tool, and individualized career counseling.

What are General Education Requirements? 
General Education Requirements (Gen Ed) are generally a group of courses from several subject areas which are required for graduation by state law.

JCTC’s Gen Ed policy
UofL's Gen Ed policy

Can I change my major after I transfer?
Yes. Talk to an advisor about how existing credits will apply to your new major.

Do I need an Associates degree to transfer?
The University of Louisville does not require an Associates degree from transfer students. 

How long will it take to transfer?
The time it takes to transfer depends on the number of credit hours completed each semester, and the minimum number of credit hours that a transfer institution requires for admission. Most students who are full time earn 12 credit hours per semester, and since UofL requires at least 24 hours of credit before transfer, many students need two full semesters of completed coursework before they can transfer. Please note that developmental coursework DOES NOT count towards the 24 credit hour minimum.  

What are developmental classes?
Developmental classes are courses that prepare a student for the college level course.  These classes are considered under the 100 level and therefore do not count towards transferable credit hours or towards the completion of a degree. Listed below are examples of JCTC developmental courses:

RDG 10
Introduction to College Reading
RDG 20 Improved College Reading
CMS 185 College Reading
ENC 90 Foundations of College Writing I
ENC 91 Foundations of College Writing II
MT 55 Pre-Algebra
MT 65
Basic Algebra with Measurement
MT 120 Intermediate Algebra with Applications

What courses do I need to complete before I transfer?
This depends on how soon you wish to transfer! A student must complete the minimum University of Louisville admission requirements before transfer. A student may also choose to complete general education requirements and available coursework in their declared major. Most students transfer between 24 and 60 credit hours. Again, this is where meeting with an ULtra advisor can be very helpful.

Are all JCTC courses transferable to UofL?
No.  There are lots of courses offered at JCTC that do not have equivalents at the University of Louisville. For instance, JCTC offers technical degrees as well as general Associates Degrees in Arts or Science and Associates of Applied Science. Your ULtra advisor can help educate you about classes that will transfer for full credit.

When do I apply to transfer?
Most students apply to transfer after the have earned between 24-60 credit hours.  There are specific deadlines for certain programs with selective admission policies.  These programs have specific deadlines: Education, Nursing, Dental Hygiene, and Social Work

How do “W’s” affect my ability to transfer?
In most cases, W’s are not a focus of admission decisions unless there is an excessive number over a long period. However, many graduate schools will look at the entire transcript including W’s when making admission decisions.

What GPA do I need to transfer to UofL?
The GPA necessary for admission varies from college to college at the University of Louisville. Check with the program or department that you are interested in to find out their GPA requirement or contact your ULtra counselor.

Will my high school grades and ACT scores count when I transfer?
After a student earns 24 transferable credit hours, UofL does not consider high school grades and ACT scores in their admission decision. Decisions are based on academic performance during the 24 hours earned. The minimal GPA required to transfer is 2.0 or higher depending on what program you decide to pursue. Check your major's departmental page for information.


How do I take a class through the Metroversity program?


Fall/Spring term registration typically begins five to six weeks before the start of the next semester. Dates are subject to change.  Please visit the Metroversity Guidelines for detailed information. 

back to top



Current UofL Students

 Mandatory Meal Plan for UofL Students

 There will be a mandatory meal plan for all undergraduate non-resident UofL students at the cost of $175 per semester.  Please visit University of Louisville Dining Services for more information.


Attend Spiritual Activities
The Interfaith Center (852-6598) is at the foot of the SAC ramp. You can find Roman Catholic, Jewish, Episcopal, United Methodist, Presbyterian USA, Lutheran Campus Ministries. Their hours are Monday through Thursday, 9:00am to 5:00pm, and Fridays from 9:00am to 12:00pm. Also, don’t miss their lunch Wednesdays at noon.

Baptist Student Union
The BSU offers a variety of programs and services for students. For information, please call 852-6595 or check them out online.

Cash A Check
The Bursar’s Office, 852-6503, 2211 So. Brook St. A valid ID is required and a maximum of one check of $25 per day can be cashed for students. Hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm. Extended hours in January and September are Tuesday/Wednesday, 9:00am – 5:30pm. Online payments available (

Change Classes
 Go online to ULink. Go to ULink Community, Registration Information.  Call 852-2222 for touch-tone registration.

Clear Up A Traffic Ticket / Get A Parking Permit
If one of those parking tickets appear on the windshield of your car, or if you need a parking permit, both can be taken care of at the Department of Public Safety (DPS) 852-7275. Hours on Belknap campus are Monday through Thursday, 7:30am to 7:30pm, and Friday, 7:30am to 5:00pm and the Health Science Campus hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:00pm, closed 1:00pm to 2:00pm for lunch.

Declare My Major

Go to the advising unit or dean’s office.

Financial Aid
The Financial Aid Office is located in the Houchens Bldg., 852-5511 (Fax: 502-852-0182). Counselors are available to assist you Monday through Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm.

Find Assistance for New or Returning Adults Coming to College 
The Commuter Center, 852-7070, is located in Room 105 of Davidson Hall. Hours are Monday through Thursday, 9:00am to 7:00pm and Friday 9:00am-2:00pm.

Find a Computer, Printer, Scanner
The Computer Service Centers are located in Ekstrom library and Miller IT Center offer a study environment for all resident students. Each center has at least 6 computers that have a T1 Internet connection and are connected to a printer. The centers will be staffed and open 7 days a week between 3:00pm and 3:00am.

Find Out My Grades / Get a Transcript
The Student Records Office, 852-6522 is located in Room 31 of the Houchens Building, lower level. Their hours are 9:00am to 5:00pm Monday, Thursday, and Friday, and Tuesday/Wednesday, 9:00am to 6:00pm when classes are in session. Call 852-2222 to get Touchtone System for grades. Go to Room 036 Houchens Bldg. for transcripts. Grades and transcripts are also available online through ULink. Click on ULink Community, then On-Line Services.

Find Someone Who Would Like to Listen to My Problems
There are many people on campus that are here to help you. If you live on campus, you might want to start with your resident assistant. The Counseling Center (502) 852-6585, located next to the SAC, is also a place to go if you need someone to listen.

Found or Lost Something 
If you lose, or for that matter, find something, check the lost and found for drop locations!

Get Emergency Car Help
The Department of Public Safety (DPS) provides the Motorist Assistance Program 24-hours-a-day 7-days-a-week. They can assist when keys are locked in your car, your tire is flat, you run out of gas, or your battery needs a jump as well as other services. Call for help at 852-PARK.

Get an Escort Across Campus
The Department of Public Safety (DPS) provides escorts every evening after dark to students walking across campus alone. Call 852-6111.

Get Involved
The Student Government Office, located in the SAC, has information on every registered student group on campus. You can get information about any organization here, so drop by the office on the 3rd Floor 852-6695.

Get a Loan
The Student Credit Union found in the SAC Food Court, 852-7321, provides this service plus many others to students, alumni and relatives, Monday through Thursday, 9:00am to 4:30pm, and Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm. To become a member, present a valid student ID, and picture ID, deposit $25 to a savings account and keep a minimum balance of $25 in your account.

Get Tickets to Athletic Events
Let’s go CARDS! The ticket office is on the 3rd Floor of the SAC. Hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm. To pick up tickets, you must present a valid ID.

Go Greek
The Greek Affairs Office is located on the 3rd Floor of the SAC in the Student Activities Office.

If I Become Sick
The Student Health Service, 852-6479, new location 215 Central Avenue Suite 110, is staffed with full-time doctors and medical assistants who see patients by appointment each weekday. The Health Science Campus location is 401 East Chestnut St., suite 110 Ambulatory Care Bldg. 1st Fl., 852-6446.

Participate in Intramural Sports
Intramurals are a great way to get involved on campus and get a little exercise! There are lots of great teams to join, so what are you waiting for? Click on the link above, or call the Intramurals Office at 852-6707.

Quick Cash
There are automatic teller machines in the SAC (2nd floor East wing and 1st floor West wing) and one outside the Miller Technology Bldg. that provide cash from First Star. Additionally, the Credit Union has a machine in the SAC next to Wendy’s. The Health Science Campus machine is located in the Library & Commons Building.

Report an Act of Intolerance, Racism and Homophobia
Such behaviors can be reported to the Department of Public Safety (DPS) at 852-6726.

Report a Crime
Contact the Department of Public Safety (DPS) at 852-6111.

Report a Sexual Assault
UofL Department of Public Safety (DPS): 852-6111
Metro Police: 574-7830
Center for Women & Families Rape Relief Program 24-hour Hotline: 581-RAPE UofL Counseling Center: 852-6585
Student Health Service: 852-6479
Or visit your resident director

Report a Stolen/Lost, Get a New, Add $ to a Cardinal Card 
Report a theft at the basement of Houchens Room 08K (852-7520) and the Department of Public Safety (DPS) (852-6111). The fee to replace a card may be as much as $20.

Take Care of Maintenance Problems
For broken lights, furniture, doors, and windows, etc. call 852-1641. If you are responsible for damage to university property, it is advised that you report it immediately to a Housing staff member.


back to top



Can a first semester suspended UofL student attend JCTC in the suspended semester?

Any student suspended by the University of Louisville must contact Dr. Randall Davis, Dean of Students at JCTC to discuss admission to Jefferson Community & Technical College.  His office can be reached at 502-213-2123. 

What is the deadline for applying for admission to UofL?

Allow six weeks of lead time from the semester start date. 

What is the deadline for applying for the KCTCS Transfer scholarship?
Students must apply for admission and the scholarship by March 15 for fall admission.

What are the criteria for the KCTCS Transfer Scholarship?

Student who will have earned by end of the spring semester prior to summer or fall semester, KCTCS credit hours must be the last credit hours obtained in your undergraduate course of study, and at least a 3.25 GPA are eligible to apply for the scholarship.

Where can I find Academic Program Plans that will help me advise students who plan to transfer to UofL?
JCTC/UofL Academic Program Plans

Can students receive an associate degree from JCTC and still fulfill the requirement for UofL?
With the exception of music and dental hygiene majors all other majors can take freshman and sophomore level courses and receive an associate’s degree from KCTCS institutions.

What level of math is required for a bachelor’s degree from UofL?

While some degrees specify college algebra, most degrees require a minimum of contemporary math or college algebra. For example business, political science require college algebra.

Will all of the curriculum for associates of applied science(AAS) degrees transfer into a bachelor’s degree program?

No, the course that fall under general education category will transfer. Exceptions: Most criminal justice (CJ), education (ED), (IECE), some engineering.

How does a student enroll in a Metroversity course?


ULtra students may register for the Spring term beginning November 10.  Classes start at UofL on Monday, January 10.   Fulltime students who have completed at least 12 credits with a 2.0 GPA must enroll in at least 6 credit hours at their home institution, please see Metroversity Guidelines for more specific information. 

Can a student use Metroversity to take a class in Marching band, ROTC, Black Diamond choir or select music classes?
Yes, students who are enrolled at a community college (JCTC) is allow to participate in Marching Band, ROTC and Black Diamond Choir.  Participation in theses activities requires the student to enroll in a corresponding one hour class on the UofL schedule.

What history should a KCTCS student take who is planning to transfer to UofL.?

Students who are planning to receive an associate’s degree can take any history. Those students who will leave the community college system without a degree will need history of Europe, part one or two (HIS 104 or 105 KCTCS) (HIS 101 or 102 U of L).

Will KCTCS student need cultural diversity classes?
Any student who is fully general education certified or earns an AA or AS degree at any KCTCS college or Kentucky public university will have completed the cultural diversity requirements for the University of Louisville.

Are there deadline for applying for selective admission majors at UofL?

Selective admission program have earlier dates:

  • Dental Hygiene - March 1st
  • School of Education - Feb 1st
  • Nursing - March 1st (Required Summer Patho & Pharm/Fall Clinical Admission); June 1 (Required Fall Patho & Pharm/Spring Clinical Admission)
  • Bachelors Social Work -  March 1st

What are the selective admission majors at UofL?

Selective admission majors:

  • Art: BFA
  • Dental hygiene
  • Education
  • Engineering
  • Nursing
  • Music
  • Bachelor Social Work

Does UofL offer a developmental course work?

Math 080 is the only developmental math course at UofL (equivalent to Math 120 at JCTC).  There is also a program called Advance in Math that allows students to review and then take the COMPASS test at the end of the review. 

Are there majors that require an ACT score for admission?

Yes. 21 ACT or above:

  • Education
  • Engineering  23 ACT incoming freshmen

How can I know which course from JCTC transfer into degree programs at UofL?
Academic Program Plans for most KCTC to UofL can be found online.

How does a student challenge/appeal how credit is accepted/evaluated at JCTC or UofL?
Challenges and or appeals of how credit is accepted into individual departments will start with the department. Check with the department for necessary procedures. Most will want catalog description and syllabus for the class.

How does a student change their major at JCTC?

JCTC: Go to the Advising Center and request major change.


Do students who were suspended from UofL need to petition for admission to return?
Yes, in addition to applying for admission students who left the university under suspension will automatically need to also complete a petition form.

How many courses can a UofL student repeat?
A student can only repeat four (4) courses.

How many courses can a KCTCS student repeat?
KCTCS students have unlimited repeat policy.  However, students who took classes at UofL and are now taking classes at JCTC to replace the old grades may only replace grades on up to four classes.

When can students from JCTC have Metroversity courses at UofL added to their schedule?

ULtra students may register for the Spring term beginning November 7th. 

Classes start at UofL on Monday, January 7th. 

How to view the UofL schedule of classes?
Visit UofL's schedule of classes online.

How to view KCTCS class schedule for all locations?
Visit KCTCS schedule of classes online.

How to view the JCTC class schedule for all locations?
Visit JCTC schedule of classes online.


back to top



How does my child become an ULtra student?
The first step is to apply to Jefferson Community and Technical College.  See the ULtra student checklist for a complete outline of the steps to becoming an ULtra student.

Does the ULtra program guarantee my student a place at UofL?
No. Your student’s grades will determine if he or she will be accepted at UofL.  To transfer, a student must have a minimum of 24 college credit hour and a minimum of 2.0 GPA for the college of Arts and Sciences.  Other colleges have higher requirements and your student will be given this information at his or her first advising appointment.

Will my student have to take the COMPASS placement test at JCTC?
It depends on his/her ACT score. The COMPASS test is divided into 3 areas: Math, Reading, & English.  Some students take the entire test, while others only take specific sections.  To be exempt from each section you must at least have the following ACT score in the each section:

  • Math:  A 19 or higher
  • English: An 18 or higher
  • Reading:  An 20 or higher

Students with lower scores will take the COMPASS placement test in these areas  to determine the best placement in Reading, English, and Math. 

What happens if my child gets a low score on the placement test?
Some students are placed in developmental classes. These are classes that do not count for college credit but prepare the student for college level classes. They have a class number that is below 100, for example Math 065 or English 091. Students are often upset to have to take classes that don’t count but it is much worse to fail a class that he or she is not prepared to take. 

What does it cost to be an ULtra student?

You do not have to pay to be an ULtra student but you must be enrolled as a student at JCTC. The cost for tuition at JCTC is $140 for each credit hour if you are a Kentucky resident ($465 for out of state). Most students take 12 -15 credit hours per semester so the cost would be $1620 - $2025 for tuition plus the cost of books. More information on fees can be found in the prospective students section of the JCTC site under Costs and Finances.

What does it cost to get a UofL ID?
ULtra students can purchase a UofL student ID for $150 per semester for the Fall and Spring semester and $20 for the summer. This is less than UofL students pay and includes access to all UofL gyms, all University affiliated libraries, intramural activities and admission to some UofL student event. It also allows students to ride TARC buses free.

How does my student purchase this ID?
To get the ID you must be registered as an ULtra student. You can then take a check or money order to the Bursar’s office on the UofL campus, take the receipt to the Campus Cardinal Card Office, and receive your picture ID.  See our instructions for getting an ID card.

Will my child get a quality education at the community college?
Absolutely! JCTC is accredited by exactly the same board that accredits the University of Louisville and is held to the same standards. Students at the community college benefit from smaller classes where they can get to know their professors. ULtra students tell us that they are challenged in class, that most professors know their name and that they enjoy the discussions made possible by smaller classes.

Will my student be well prepared for UofL?
Yes. Last May, one third of our graduating class at UofL was transfer students and they graduated at a higher rate than students who began at UofL. Many of these students came from JCTC. We also know that a student who stays longer at the community college will be better prepared to transfer to UofL so we encourage students to complete their general education courses at JCTC.

What if my student doesn’t know what to major in?
Don’t worry. Many students start college without a specific major and most others will change their major, often many times. This is normal. ULtra has a close relationship with CREW, a Career Resource Center. We will encourage your student to go to CREW to take a career inventory and do some exploration. We will also talk to him or her about majors available at UofL and job opportunities for graduates. 

Can my student belong to a fraternity or sorority?
Male students can join a fraternity at UofL. Many fraternities have members from other colleges. Other sororities are not able to take members from other colleges because of national rules.  Check with an ULtra staff member and we can put you in touch with the Greek advisor on campus for additional information.

Will my student get a “real” college experience at JCTC?
It depends. JCTC is a commuter college and many students go to class and then leave for work or home but there are also lots of opportunities to belong to clubs and organizations. Associate members are also welcome in most student groups at UofL. The UofL student ID can also provide opportunities for involvement through intramural sports activities. 

Can ULtra students take some classes at UofL?
Students enrolled at JCTC can take classes at UofL as a visiting student. Many ULtra students take ROTC, Marching Band, and other classes at UofL through the Metroversity program.   See Metroversity Guidelines for details.  Others take classes at UofL as a visiting student to make the transition easier or just for fun. Visiting students must pay the regular UofL tuition.

Document Actions
Facebook      Twitter
Personal tools