Creative & Responsible Stewardship of All Resources
Drive the strategic agenda with creative use of the university’s full capacity
Develop the university’s greatest asset – its people.
- Provide opportunities for faculty, staff and administrators to achieve professional growth and development throughout their careers.
- Recognize and reward faculty, staff and student excellence in all areas of their work and for their contributions to strategic goals.
- Implement a comprehensive plan for effective external communications and interaction with alumni.
Use university accomplishments in education, cultural activities, research, service and athletics to drive philanthropy, public and government relations, and alumni engagement.
- Increase national reputation for academic programs, research, arts, athletics and community engagement.
- Devise and implement an effective university marketing and branding campaign.
- Conduct a successful 3rd Century Capital Campaign to raise one billion dollars.
Develop and fund a capital renewal program to protect and improve university facilities and grounds to:
- budget for and complete deferred maintenance.
- incorporate strong input from the operational and academic users
- use recent facilities study of university space to prioritize capital renewal needs.
Develop business and budgetary planning for achieving strategic goals.
- Develop a budget model to enable strategic goals.
- Assure maximum efficiency and effectiveness of university processes.
- Examine university policies and business practices and revise to be as efficient and as effective as possible.
- Develop and implement a tuition setting model.
Ensure that the strategic plans of programs and centers and institutes further the university’s mission and strategic plan.
- Encourage programs and Centers to be dynamic - to grow in quality, to expand to meet demand, to evolve and change to maintain excellence - or to terminate.
- Assess all programs and Centers on a regular basis for recertification using pre-determined and transparent criteria.
- Use program and center review to drive improvement.
- Perform a periodic (5-10 year) “blue-ribbon” review of programming to identify areas for reallocation and investment.
Fully develop a dynamic academic health center as a university asset.
- Conduct strategic review of Kornhauser Library and create the medical library of the future.
- Achieve NCI Cancer Center designation.
- Modify governing structure of University Hospital to allow independent and unencumbered operation.
- Consolidate the faculty medical practice plans.
Drive the strategic agenda with creative use of the university’s full capacity (continued)
Fully develop the Shelby Campus as a university asset.
- Review and revise 2004 Shelby Business and Technology Plan to include impact of new biosafety laboratory.
Develop policies for information management and related risk mitigation.
- Provide training and develop a culture of regulatory compliance.
- Develop a policy for protection of university data, scholarship and intellectual property.
Position information technologies as a strategic University asset.
- Perform comprehensive review of technology needs of academic and administrative units to determine future needs.
- Implement technology budgeting process that is transparent and uses a strategic asset model.
Anticipate and develop University libraries capacity to meet education and research needs of the University.
Function as One University, creating synergy of ideas and actions among all campuses, units and members of the University community.
Continue the commitment to effective and responsible shared governance in decision-making.
- Develop new opportunities for faculty, staff and students to participate in meaningful and responsible shared governance to promote community and synergistic interaction.
Remove barriers to interaction among members of the university community.
- Strive for effective internal communications to unite campuses, units, programs.
- Use scheduling management to facilitate interactions.
- Increase intercampus visitor parking.
- Provide a regular intercampus shuttle.
- Create interactive times and spaces and gathering places.
Promote and support educational and scholarly activities that provide cross-fertilization and interdepartmental interactions.
- Promote interdisciplinary research and educational programming.
- Support Interdisciplinary Ph.D. programs.
- Subsidize Centers and Institutes for specific interdisciplinary projects and initiatives.
- Devise a well defined, transparent procedure for seeking university investment for strategic initiatives.
- Reward creative mission centered programming, sharing net revenue increases.
- Encourage and support innovative and entrepreneurial activity in academic programming, research, administrative processes and community engagement.
- Highlight exemplary program performance in university communications.