Research, Scholarship & Creative Activity
Maintain an ambitious emphasis on excellence in research and scholarship and be recognized among the top twenty US public metropolitan research universities
Aggressively develop excellent programs of research and scholarship throughout the university.
- Hire outstanding new faculty and staff; maintain and further develop current faculty and staff.
- Develop sustainable procedures for funding startup packages, seed grants and sustainable procedures for “bridge funds” to retain programs.
- Increase research computing capacity to achieve strategic goals.
- Develop the infrastructure required for significant growth of the research enterprise.
- Develop a comprehensive research space plan, with funding for building, equipping, utilization and maintenance.
- Provide shared (core) facilities required by the research community.
Focus investment of effort and resources on selected research areas, with ultimate national recognition of faculty and programs in these areas.
- Maintain clear criteria for areas of emphasis for research investment based on strategic goals for attainment of national recognition.
- Promote interdisciplinary and innovative “niche” research and scholarship to rapidly develop national recognition.
- Elevate performance in nationally recognized indicators of research excellence
- Double research funding to drive the research enterprise and provide strategic funding for Ph.D. education.
- Assess and reward excellence in research and scholarly activity using intramural and extramural peer reviewed measures.
Integrate scholarship, basic and translational research, applied research and technology transfer with academic goals, community needs and extramural opportunities.
Promote research and student training in scholarship, basic and translational research, applied research and technology transfer with academic goals, community needs and extramural opportunities.
- Evaluate and reward excellence in these research and scholarship programs.
- Promote faculty-student interactions
- Provide educational opportunities in the Ideas to Action plan using strong research and scholarship programs.
- Use success in these programs to drive community and economic development.
- Use recognition from these programs to drive public engagement and interest in UofL for recruiting and the capital campaign.
Manage research centers and institutes to achieve strategic goals that are interdisciplinary or that cannot be accomplished by the core school/department structure.
Develop those disciplines with limited traditional access to extramural funding.
Clearly articulate and support a unified, effective regulatory and ethical compliance program.
Continue to build clinical excellence as a means of funding our educational and translational research mission