Provide a dynamic learning environment with outstanding teachers, learners and programs.
Provide academic programs that prepare students for 21st century life
- Emphasize critical thinking skills and the application of knowledge.
- Involve students in research projects and provide opportunities for students to interact with distinguished scholars.
- Use the Ideas to Action program to engage students in research and community projects.
- Include practical and professional experience opportunities in educational programs.
- Provide student opportunities for participation in translational and outreach programs.
- Instill a global outlook promoting an understanding of the differences in cultural, social and economic systems in our global community.
- Provide selected opportunities for international study.
- Develop new interdisciplinary programs
Strengthen programs for continuous development of faculty teaching excellence
- Hire outstanding new tenure track faculty to meet strategic goals.
- Evaluate teaching and mentoring using rigorous peer review.
- Recognize and reward excellence in teaching and mentoring.
- Support excellence in faculty pedagogy, mentorship and program development.
- Mentor junior faculty and teaching assistants.
- Establish Distinguished University Teacher status.
- Establish Distinguished University Mentor status (for mentoring graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, residents or junior faculty).
Increase the sense of community and provide the best possible learning environment
- Develop classroom and research space, instructional technology and physical facilities to provide campuses that are safe, inviting, and functional and that inspire pride in the university community.
- Implement programs to assist under-represented minorities and first generation students to complete undergraduate, graduate, and first professional degrees.
- Develop a culture of inclusion and support for students using small groups of students/faculty/staff and learning community strategies.
- Increase the number of full time tenured and tenure-track faculty.
- Provide class sizes and discussion sections that promote interaction.
- Increase student exposure to distinguished university scholars, teachers and mentors .
- Develop a voluntary co-curricular program for enrichment of the educational experience and the teaching of life skills.
- Develop a voluntary co-curricular program that instills global, social, economic and cultural awareness.
- Develop a comprehensive Campus Life Plan, addressing housing, nutritional, social and cultural matters.
- Develop a culture of staff responsiveness and service, rewarding staff members who excel in service to students, staff and faculty.
- Develop an outstanding career center that assists students with personal and professional development and links students and alumni to regional employers.
- Provide childcare and after school care for children of the university community.
Enroll, educate and graduate students prepared for lives of responsible citizenship, professional success and community leadership to meet the needs of the Commonwealth
Promote early engagement strategies to develop future university students providing opportunity and making UofL a university of first choice.
- Provide excellent teachers for primary and secondary schools.
- Cultivate interest in undergraduate education at UofL using primary and secondary education outreach and summer programs.
- Develop excellent future graduate and professional students using co-curricular and summer programs.
Develop recruitment, enrollment and educational success plans for controlled growth and increased success of undergraduate, graduate and professional programs.
- Maintain high admissions standards, using past academic performance, aptitude test performance, other objective criteria and holistic admissions evaluation as primary admissions criteria.
- Use merit and need based scholarship opportunities along with active advising to recruit and enroll the best available students.
- Meet strategic goals using controlled growth in undergraduate, graduate and professional enrollment.
- Recognize and adapt to shifting regional demographics in recruiting.
- Facilitate student transfers from Kentucky schools, welcoming all Kentuckians to the metropolitan center of the state.
- Maximize opportunity of access to higher education and professional education, using the KCTCS system as a bridge.
- Recruit “stop-out” students for degree completion.
- Recruit globally as part of comprehensive international plan.
Increase the number of degrees awarded, enhance high quality programs and be creative in providing educational opportunity.
- Develop strong academic support services aimed at retention and student success.
- Implement programs to assist qualified under-represented minorities and first generation students to matriculate and progress in degree programs.
- Ensure accessible and effective academic advising, to provide a supportive student life experience.
- Establish Distinguished University Advisor status.
- Institute departmental financial incentives for increasing retention and degrees awarded while maintaining or increasing quality.
- Increased baccalaureate awards with a blend of targeted recruiting, retention and completion strategies.
- Increase emphasis on graduate education with increased numbers of programs, students and services to double the number of Ph.D. awards and to increase master’s level education emphasis in strategic areas where new resources.
- Use distance learning strategically, providing selected programs for demonstrated opportunity or demand.
- Use creative and innovative strategies in collaborating with other educational institutions to meet the educational needs of the community
- Increase professional degree awards in disciplines with available capacity and adequate applicant pool.
- Implement a STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) initiative plan for increasing degrees in STEM disciplines and in teaching STEM areas in K-12
- Track student professional success after graduation.
- Develop professional practice masters and doctorate degree programs to meet community needs