Scholars earn top student awards
Several McConnell Scholars received top university, departmental and student leadership awards the University of Louisville at the end of the spring semester:
- Paige Brewer has been named one of eight UofL students to receive a Fulbright grant. She will spend a year in Kazakhstan as a Fulbright English Teaching Assistant. (She also earned aCritical Language Scholarshipto study Russian at Lobachevsky University in Nizhny Novgorod, but will decline the award to accept the Fulbright scholarship.)
- Sam Whittakerwas awarded theMary Katherine Bonsteel Tachau Awardfor Excellence in History from UofL's history department. The award was established in 1991 and is given to the graduating senior history major with the highest academic achievement.
- Philip Moore and Paige Brewer earned the Louis C. Kesselman Award by the University of Louisville's Political Science Department. The award goes to the outstanding junior and senior who are majoring in political science.
- Diana Lalata was chosen as the Erin Lyons Rouse Award recipient, an award given to a political science student who has not only excelled academically but has also shown exemplary spirit and outstanding service to the University of Louisville and the surrounding community.
- Arsh Haque won the Jean & Eleanor O'Sullivan Award to the most outstanding senior graduate in political science. It helps supports a graduate fellowship for the recipient.
- Andrew Stewart was awarded the Atlantic Coast Conference Top Six for Service Award for his work as a student-athlete (UofL Student Awards).
- Jeremy Ball was named an Outstanding Sophomore (UofL Student Awards) and Greek Student of the Year.
- Natalie Smith was named an Outstanding Senior (UofL Student Awards).
By Chloe Zoeller, a 2016 McConnell Scholar