This page is to help answer your questions about the aid application process for undergraduates for the upcoming 2016-2017 Academic Year.

When is the 2016-2017 FAFSA going to be available?

The FAFSA will be available January 1, 2016

Is there a deadline?

There is no "official" deadline, although students should submit their FAFSA As Soon As Possible after the application is made available at www.fafsa.gov. The 2016-2017 FAFSA is available through June 30, 2017; however, if we do not receive your official FAFSA prior to the end of your enrollment period, we will not be able to process your federal aid. Some programs have limited funding, so the earlier you apply the better!

When should I file my 2016-2017 FAFSA?

File AS SOON AS POSSIBLEespecially if you are an undergraduate student who is a Kentucky resident and you were Pell Grant eligible this year or expect to be next year.

Why should I apply as soon as possible?

Historically, funding for the Kentucky College Access Program (CAP) Grant is exhausted earlier and earlier each year. CAP Grant is awarded to undergraduate students from Kentucky on a first-come, first-served basis by the state until the funds are spent.

What if I haven’t filed my 2015 taxes yet?

You don’t have to wait until you file your tax return to file your FAFSA.  We encourage undergraduates to complete the FAFSA on-line at www.fafsa.gov as soon as possible on or after January 1, 2016, using estimated income figures.  Once your taxes have been filed, you should go back into your FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to automatically transfer your IRS tax return data to your FAFSA.

What if I’m a Graduate or Professional student?

Graduate and professional students do not need to apply in January since they are not eligible for CAP Grants. However, to ensure early processing of your financial aid awards, please complete your FAFSA by March 15, or earlier if you have your income information available.

Is there anything I should do before January 1, 2016?

Yes, you should locate your FSA ID which allows electronic access to update and sign the FAFSA.  The FSA ID, which consists of a user-created username and password, replaced the PIN effective May, 2015.  If you or your parent (if you are a dependent student) has forgotten or needs to apply for an FSA ID, please visit fsaid.ed.gov.

Also, to get a head start on the application process, please confirm your e-mail address, mailing address, and contact information with the U.S. Department of Education is accurate. Visit www.fafsa.gov and follow the instructions to verify/update your information.

I need HELP!

Please contact the University of Louisville Student Financial Aid Office if you need assistance:
phone: 502-852-5511  e-mail:finaid@louisville.eduoffice: 110 Houchens Building, Belknap Campus