policy vehicle use modified Mon Jun 29 2020 10:04:49 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
University of Louisville
This policy applies to the University Community (administrators, faculty, staff, students, and volunteers).
When driving, renting, leasing a university vehicle for university business the following policy will provide necessary information related to appropriate usage of the vehicle and the appropriate behaviors that accompany this privilege.
REASON FOR POLICY
Provide the university community with a permissible usages of university owned, rented, or leased vehicles
Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) check: is a report of your driving history, as reported from your state Department of Motor Vehicles. Information on this report may include Drivers License information, point history, violations, convictions, and license status on your driving record.
Field trip - is an activity organized by a university department for an approved university related purpose that requires use of a vehicle to provide group transportation to and/or from the field trip location.
The following accident procedure information should be placed in the glove compartment of all university-owned vehicles. Contact Risk Management for a copy of the accident procedures.
- Obtain a police report from the University of Louisville Police Department or if not on university property, from the appropriate police agency.
- Report the accident to Risk Management as soon as practical, preferably the same day of the occurrence.
- Stay calm. Do not argue with others involved in the accident.
- Call an ambulance if anyone is injured. Assist those injured but do not administer first aid unless you are qualified.
- Do not discuss what happened with anyone except the police
- Do not admit responsibility for the accident, or sign a statement
- Do not disclose university insurance policy limits to anyone
The driver will be held personally responsible for all costs of the accident if the driver is found to be operating the vehicle in a reckless manner due to the use of alcohol, illegal drugs, and/or controlled substances.
University departments with university vehicles or department that rent or lease vehicles for university business.
Vice President for Risk, Audit, and Compliance
RESPONSIBLE UNIVERSITY DEPARTMENT/DIVISION
Risk Management Department
1900 Arthur Street, Louisville, KY 40208
Revision Date(s):3/2015; 6/29/2020
Reviewed Date(s): 6/24/2016
The University Policy and Procedure Library is updated regularly. In order to ensure a printed copy of this document is current, please access it online at http://louisville.edu/policies.