Freshman Orientation (Spring)
We can't wait to welcome you to the Cardinal Family in Spring 2023!
Orientation for spring 2023 first-time freshmen is two parts:
- Pre-Advising Module: This online module is designed to equip students with important information needed before attending Academic Advising. It is self-paced and takes up to an hour to complete. Students must complete the Pre-Advising Module in order to schedule an Academic Advising Appointment.
- New Cards Orientation Session: All incoming freshmen for Spring 2023 must register for and attend an on-campus New Cards Orientation session on January 6, 2023. This session is the Friday before classes begin and will include presentations from campus services, an informational resource fair, a campus tour, and more. Lunch is provided.
1) Register for New Cards Orientation - Registration available October 3rd
- Log in to your New Cards Gateway
- Pay the $50 Orientation Fee (in the "Payments" section)
- The link to register for your Orientation session will become available on your Gateway about an hour after payment is submitted.
- You may register to bring up to 2 guests to your orientation session. There is a $15 fee per registered guest. Payment can be made on your New Cards Gateway after registration is submitted.
2) Complete your Pre-Advising Module
- Use Google Chrome as your browser
- Log in to your New Cards Gateway
- Click on the "Spring 2023 Pre-Advising Module" link in the New Cards Gateway checklist section.
- On the Microsoft sign in screen, enter your UofL email address in the userID@louisville.edu format. Click Next.
- On the enter password screen, enter your ULink password. Click Next.
- If you were NOT able to log in, you likely entered your userID@louisville.edu. email address incorrectly, or your university accounts have not been activated. Activation instructions.
- How to use University technology
- Academic program overview
- Financial Aid information
- Information on parking, dining, and obtaining your Cardinal Card
- Preparation for Academic Advising (using CardSmart) and setting up your enrollment shopping cart)
Students may register for an academic advising appointment upon completion of the Pre-Advising Module
3) Schedule an Appointment with your Academic Advisor
After completing your Pre-Advising Module, schedule an appointment with your academic advisor through CardSmart. Complete instructions for logging into CardSmart and scheduling your appointment can be found in the Pre-Advising Module. Note: it may take 1-2 business days after completing the Pre-Advising Module for CardSmart access to be granted.
4) Enroll in Classes
After completing the Pre-Advising Module and attending your Academic Advising appointment, you will be ready to enroll in classes on ULink. Please note that you will be required to complete pre-registration questions before gaining access to enrollment. These questions can be found in the "Tasks" tile in ULink.
5) Attend New Cards Orientation
At your on-campus orientation session, you will have the opportunity to expand on the information you learned in your Pre-Advising Module and become acclimated to campus before the Spring semester starts. We can't wait to welcome you to the Cardinal Family at New Cards Orientation on Friday, January 6, 2023!
Activating University Accounts: You will need to activate your University accounts in order to log in to your Pre-Advising Module, attend your academic advising appointment, and enroll in classes. If you have not yet activated your accounts, click here for activation instructions. If you have already activated, but do not remember your login information or password and need assistance in resetting, click here for information from the UofL IT Help Desk.
Questions? The Orientation Programs office is here to help! Email us (email@example.com) or call 502.852.7276. We are looking forward to welcoming you to the Cardinal Family!