Latin American and Latino Studies Minor
Picture credit: Carlos Surubi Rivera from Pexels
The Latin American and Latino Studies (LALS) MInor offers a curriculum across multiple disciplines from the social sciences (such as anthropology, communication,geographic and environmental sciences, history, marketing, political science, sociology, social work, women’s, gender, and sexuality studies). The humanities (such as art history, English, modern languages, Spanish, and theater arts) provide students with a solid intellectual base on the Latin American social, economic, historical, geographic, political, linguistic, and aesthetic environments and contexts.
Complete the following courses:
- LALS 310: Introduction to Latin American Studies (SBD2)
- LALS 311: Introduction to Latino Studies (SBD1)
- LALS 400: Undergraduate Internship (CUE/WR - Semester and Site)
- SPAN or PORT 200+ (or proficiency)
- One course from the LALS Humanities Electives list
- One course from the LALS Social Sciences Electives list
- One Elective with a substantial Latin American content
WHAT CAN I STUDY?
LALS stands as a great field of study on its own and easy to combine with majors or minors in other disciplines such as anthropology, history, honors, the individualized major, humanities, Pan-African Studies, political science, sociology, social work, Spanish,women, gender and sexualities studies, along many others.
The Latin American and Latino Studies degrees prepare students for cross-cultural understanding and the language skills needed to integrate Latin-American and Latino perspectives into their fields, such as healthcare and medical organizations, corporations, government organizations, education (at all levels, including ESL programs), international business and trade, law firms, and legal advocacy programs, marketing, non-profit organizations, social work, translation and interpretation, art, hospitality, among others.
CAMPUS EVENTS - COMMUNITY OUTREACH - STUDY ABROAD
- Internships in the Louisville area and abroad
- Lectures, social meetings, film festivals
- Annual Study Abroad Program in Panama,
- Panama Scholar Awards
- Lewis Scholar Awards for study abroad in Latin America and Spain
- LALS Club
- Annual Drives for KY Refugee Ministries
- Mayor’s Give a Day of Service
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Dr. Manuel F. Medina, Director
Latin American and Latino Studies Program,