Health Professional Students
Mandatory Health Insurance Requirement
All students enrolled in the MD, DMD, upper division Dental Hygiene and Registered Nurses, ARNP, and the Audiology & Speech Pathology programs are required to have major medical insurance. You may waive the major medical insurance provided by Academic Health Plans, with claims paid by Anthem, with proof of similar coverage.
Waiver information will be sent to your UofL e-mail account from Academic Health Plans (AHP) giving you details on how to enroll or waive the medical insurance. The e-mail will be sent out starting mid-July for the Fall semester. You cannot submit a waiver prior to receiving this e-mail.
If you need to make a change to your Fall semester choice of accepting or waiving the insurance, contact Academic Health Plans at email@example.com or 1-855-850-4191.
Health Professional Health Fee
All students enrolled in the MD, DMD, upper division Dental Hygiene and Registered Nurses, ARNP, and the Audiology & Speech Pathology, and Public Health programs are required to pay a Professional Health Fee. The Professional Health Fee is $52.50 per semester.
The fee provides:
- Unlimited routine office visits for health maintenance, physicals, blood pressure checks
- Gynecological exams (does not cover outside laboratory charges)
- Medical office visits for illnesses
- Allergy injections
- Phlebotomy services (lab and x-ray fees are paid by patient or patient insurance)
- In-office lab tests such as strep, flu, pregnancy, urinalysis
- Annual surveillance TB skin testing and influenza immunizations
- Post-exposure evaluation, and testing for exposures to blood-borne pathogens such as HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C including prophylactic medications when prescribed by the health service for up to thirty days