FAQ - Health Professional Students
Frequently Asked Insurance Questions by Health Science Students
- Am I required to have Major Medical Insurance?
- Can I waive the Major Medical Insurance?
- What type of insurance plan is available to UofL students?
- How much does the insurance plan cost?
- Can I cover my spouse and children?
- When can I purchase the plan?
- What doctors can I see?
- Do I need a referral?
- What happens if I am sick and need to be hospitalized or go to the emergency room?
- Does the insurance policy cover me when I am away from school?
- Does the university-sponsored plan cover me outside the United States?
- Will I get an insurance card?
- I'm enrolled in the university-sponsored plan. Now what?
- Can I be seen by Health Services if I have other insurance?
Am I required to have Major Medical Insurance?
Health Science Center students enrolled in Medicine, Dental, Dental Hygiene, Upper Level Nursing, APRN, Speech Pathology and Audiology are required to have health insurance. All students in clinicals are required to carry medical insurance.
Can I waive the Major Medical Insurance?
- Allowed with proof of ACA (Affordable Care Act) compliant insurance plan
- Process through the Academic Health Plans (AHP) web site
- Electronically verified
- Reviewed and approved by the Insurance Advocate who removes the charge on tuition bill
- Accepted for current academic semester only
What type of insurance plan is available to UofL students?
The University of Louisville sponsored student injury and sickness insurance plan from Academic Health Plans provides UofL students with an affordable student health insurance plan tailored to the particular needs of UofL students. To view the insurance benefits, click here.
How much does the insurance plan cost?
|8/1 - 12/31||1/1 - 7/31|
*Spring premium includes coverage for summer
Can I cover my spouse and children?
Yes. See the rate chart above for information regarding the pricing. Contact the Insurance Advocate for additional information at email@example.com
How to enroll?
After registering for classes, students may enroll in the plan during open enrollment periods and the premium will be automatically placed on your tuition. If you do not have an approved waiver, you will be automatically enrolled in the plan and the major medical fee will not be able to be removed from your account.
*Spring premium included coverage for Summer
|Fall Semester||July 18 - August 31|
|Spring Semester||November 14 - February 1|
Students may qualify to enroll at other times if they have a qualifying event such as birth of a child, death of a spouse, loss of insurance through your spouse\job or reach the age of 26 which eliminates them from a parental policy.
Contact the student insurance advocate, firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information regarding this type of enrollment.
What doctors can I see?
The University sponsored plan requires students to use Campus Health Services for routine health care. Specialty care is provided through the Anthem BC/BS provider network. For more information visit https://louisville.myahpcare.com/benefits
Do I need a referral?
Referrals are not required but are suggested because Campus Health Services can obtain appointments within the University system which decreases the cost for the student. If you have an after-hour emergency, you may use any immediate/urgent care center or emergency room. These services are subject to annual deductibles and copayments.
Obtaining a referral is not a guarantee of payment but notifies the insurance plan of a pending claim. Final determination of benefits is determined by the insurance company.
What happens if I am sick and need to be hospitalized or go to the emergency room?
Students may use any of the local hospitals in the Louisville area or nationwide. However, UofL Hospital provides deeper discounts for services. Hospital Emergency Rooms are the most expensive form of health care and should be used only for life threatening emergencies or when all other facilities are closed.
Does the insurance policy cover me when I am away from school?
Yes, if you are more than 50 miles away from campus. Using the Anthem BC/BS network will be less expensive if available. See the Academic Health Plans Web site for information on how to locate a Anthem provider.
Does the university-sponsored plan cover me outside the United States?
Yes. Worldwide coverage and travel assistance is available including air ambulance transfer back to the United States if medically necessary. Please contact Academic Health Plans at (855) 850-4191 for more information.
International students are not covered when they require services in their home country.
Will I get an insurance card?
For information on how to obtain your insurance card, visit: https://louisville.myahpcare.com/
I'm enrolled in the University student insurance plan. Now what?
- Before You Visit a Provider: Understand the specific procedure to follow when seeking medical treatment under your Student Health Insurance Plan. You are required to use the Campus Health Services Offices as your primary physicians for non-emergency care.
- Call 502-852-6479 for Cardinal Station office or 502-852-6446 for the Health Science Center office.
- All customer service inquiries, including provider network questions, should be directed to Academic Health Plans by calling (855) 850-4191.
Can I be seen by Campus Health Services if I have other insurance?
Absolutely. Campus Health bills most major insurance companies.