Master of Science in Social Work
We are happy to guide you through the admission and application process for the Master of Science in Social Work online.
To be considered for admission into the online MSSW program, you must submit your complete application packet by the applicable date (according with the respective curriculum plans selected):
September 30: Oppenheimer Deadline
- Spring Start
December 15 - Cardinal Deadline
- ALL applicants who want a practicum in fall 2018 that is not already listed on the Kent School’s practicum agency roster. This is especially common for applicants outside Kentucky.
- Review practicum agency rosters here:
- 30-hour Advanced Program applicants should review the MSSW Advanced Standing Roster
- 60-hour Standard program applicants should review the MSSW Foundation Agency Roster
- 30-Hour Advanced Standing applicants who also want to select a Specialization
- 81-Hour MSSW Couple and Family Therapy (CFT) Specialization applicants (Note: The CFT specialization is not available to online students)
February 28 - Minerva Deadline
- 30-hour Advanced Standing applicants with intended Summer start
- Out of State applicants desiring a 3-year plan
May 30 - Traditional Deadline
- 30-hour Advanced Standing applicants without Specializations
- 60-hour Standard applicants who do not need to select a practicum in fall 2018
- ALL applicants who want a practicum in fall 2018 that is listed on Kent School’s practicum agency roster
The sooner you apply and get an admissions decision, the more time you have to complete any needed prerequisites before classes begin (if applicable).
Do Not Wait!
Are You Ready for Social Work?
Because the social work profession requires full commitment and life-long dedication to the wellbeing and advancement of others, we strongly encourage you to review the NASW Code of Ethics before applying to the MSSW program, to ensure your beliefs and behaviors align with the social work profession's mission, ethical principles and core values.
Due to the highly competitive program, we encourage you to submit your online application as soon as possible so you get counted for the next start. Then you can gather all other necessary documentation and submit it by the deadline. Strong applications submitted after September 30 (Spring) or December 15 / February 28 (preferred deadline for admission to MSSW Online program fall start) may be considered by the Admissions Committee on a case-by-case basis and as space (enrollment count) allows.
How To Apply
The 2017-2018 MSSW Application Checklist (PDF) lists all the documents you must submit to Graduate Admissions for your application for admission to the online MSSW program to be complete. Read over it carefully and submit all applicable materials.
The checklist is an essential tool that can help you navigate through the admission requirements, keep track of the documentation you have and identify the documentation you still need to obtain.
Send all admission materials to our Graduate Admissions office at the following address:
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292
You may transfer up to six applicable credit hours of graduate coursework from any regionally-accredited university, pending department approval. Transfer credit is reviewed after an applicant has been admitted to the MSSW program. If a grade of B or better was earned and if the courses were taken within the last 3 years and are relevant to social work.
Click here to review the Kent School of Social Work's Transfer of Credit Policy [PDF].
Application Deadlines/Curriculum Plans
To see what core courses and electives are offered in the MSSW online program, please refer to the Standard or Advanced Standing curriculum plans.
Important! Students notify the Kent School of the curriculum plan they intend to follow to complete the MSSW program. Applicants do not need to specify their preferred plan in their application for admission, but they should submit their application based on the deadline for the plan they prefer.
MSSW applications submitted by U.S. citizens living abroad and international students are not being accepted at this time, except in rare circumstances when all of the following requirements are met:
- No language barriers exist
- A qualified practicum supervisor is readily available (e.g., the supervisor has a MSSW degree from a CSWE-accredited institution or similar CSWE-type accreditation)
- UofL’s Kent School of
Social Work has previously established partnerships with practicum sites and
If you live outside of the United States and intend to complete an online academic program from your home country, follow the Application Checklist instructions to make sure the proper documents are submitted with your application.
For more information on the admission and application process, please contact our Online Learning Enrollment Counselor at 800.871.8635 or by email, email@example.com.