Master of Science in Social Work
We are happy to guide you through the admission and application process for the Master of Science in Social Work online.
To be considered for admission into the online MSSW program, you must submit your complete application packet by the applicable date (according with the respective curriculum plan selected):
- January 30 - Deadline for any online applicants who are applying to a specialization OR who wish to pursue a practicum placement next year at an agency that is NOT on the MSSW Practicum roster.
- February 28 - Advanced Standing (30-hr) program - Earlybird Deadline for applicants who wish to start in fall (AA curriculum plan); FINAL Deadline - for those applying for summer start (BB and CC curriculum plans).
- May 30 - Traditional Deadline for applicants who do not have to choose a practicum placement.
The sooner you apply and get an admissions decision, the more time you have to complete any needed prerequisites before classes begin (if applicable).
Do Not Wait!
Due to the highly competitive program, we encourage you to submit your online application as soon as possible so you get counted for the next start. Then you can gather all other necessary documentation and submit it by the deadline. Strong applications submitted after January 30 / February 28 (preferred deadline for admission to MSSW Online program) may be considered by the Admissions Committee on a case by case basis and as space (enrollment count) allows.
How To Apply
Please use the MSSW 2014 Application Checklist [PDF] to build your application packet for admission to the Graduate School at University of Louisville, for the purpose of pursuing the Master of Science in Social Work.
The checklist is an essential tool that can help you navigate through the admission requirements, keep track of the documentation you have and identify the documentation you still need to obtain.
Admission requirements may include:
- Completed application for admission
- $60 non-refundable application fee
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work
- GPA of 2.75 (or higher) cumulative grade point average (GPA) on 4.0 scale
- GRE / MAT scores for cumulative undergraduate GPA less than 2.75
- Release and Waiver for academic records
- Personal Statement
- Ethical Standards of Behavior agreement
- Three recommendations
- Technology agreement
- Personal Commitment Contract & Synchronous Class Acknowledgement
- Practicum Accommodations
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
For additional details on each requirement don’t forget to refer to the Application Checklist.
Note: International students may be required to have their transcripts evaluated by a credential evaluation service in the U.S., and may be required to participate in a brief telephone interview.
Send all admission materials to our Graduate Admissions office at the following address:
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292
You may transfer up to six credit hours of graduate coursework from any regionally accredited university, pending department approval.
Click here to review the Kent School of Social Work's Transfer of Credit Policy [PDF].
To see what core courses and electives are offered in the MSSW online program, please refer to the Standard or Advanced Standing curriculum plans.
Important! Please note that you do not have to select a curriculum plan when you apply for admission.
MSSW applications submitted by U.S. citizens living abroad and international students are not being accepted at this time, except in rare circumstances when all of the following requirements are met:
- No language barriers exist
- A qualified practicum supervisor is readily available (e.g., the supervisor has a MSSW degree from a CSWE-accredited institution or similar CSWE-type accreditation)
- UofL’s Kent School of
Social Work has previously established partnerships with practicum sites and
If you live outside of the United States and intend to complete an online academic program from your home country, be sure to view special requirements for international students.
For more information on the admission and application process, please contact our Online Learning Enrollment Counselor at 800.871.8635 or by email, email@example.com.