How Much Will this Cost?
Tuition & Aid
This certificate does not qualify for financial aid. Special rates are available for active-duty military. Inquire to learn more.
- Gain necessary financial expertise without the time commitment of a full-time graduate program.
- Learn how hospitals, insurance providers and other healthcare organizations finance the work that directly affects patients’ lives and well-being.
- Utilize your financial background in an ever-expanding industry, both domestically and abroad.
- Complete your certificate from the comfort of home, with asynchronous coursework designed to be completed on your time and on your schedule.
- Enjoy courses taught by board certified healthcare executives, health insurance and finance professionals.
- Focus on modern health financing and alternative payment models.
- Study a curriculum tailored for existing healthcare professionals to better understand healthcare financial management processes and accounting functions in budgeting, business case decision making and strategic planning.
“Effective and efficient planning, coordination and execution of healthcare resources enables all healthcare organizational activities. This graduate certificate is designed for healthcare leaders, as well as managers responsible for budgets while applying financial and economic frameworks for organizational planning and decision making.” Lee Bewley, Ph.D., FACHE, Program Director,Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Financial Management
START YOUR APPLICATION
100% ONLINE COURSES
Finish your certificate on your schedule.
Learn about healthcare finance and financial management.
Substantial career growth is expected for the healthcare sector over the next decade, with growth projected to occur much faster than average for all occupations (bls.gov). About 1.8 million openings are projected each year, due to both employment growth and the need to replace people who leave these positions (bls.gov).
While part of this growth refers to the clinicians and medical personnel needed to fill these roles, it also includes the administrative roles needed to accommodate and service the business needs of these growing institutions.
After completing this certificate, the experience and the skills you will have could prepare you for roles such as:
- Chief Financial Officer
- Director of Finance
- Financial Operations Analyst
- Financial Reporting Analyst
- Financial Systems Analyst
- Healthcare Administrator
- Healthcare Manager
- Medical Practice Manager
- Patient Financial Advocate
- Project Manager/Financial Healthcare Advisor
- Regional Finance Director
- Quality and Compliance Officer
START YOUR APPLICATION
|Preferred Application Deadline
|Fall Term I
|Spring Term I
Note: We admit students on a rolling basis. The preferred deadlines help you complete the application process on time, be notified of acceptance and enroll before the term begins. We review applications as they become complete, and admit students for a specific term up to the day classes start. We recommend you work on and submit your complete application well in advance of the preferred deadline, as obtaining transcripts and other materials may take more time.
Class start dates are subject to change based on course availability.
Students will need to meet the following requirements to apply to this graduate certificate:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.75
- An updated resume or CV (Curriculum Vitae) (admissions committee will review for healthcare experience)
- A one-page personal statement written by the applicant that is a clear, substantive description of the applicant's goals in public health and health care management
Steps to Apply
- Complete application for admission through UofL Graduate School
- Submit a $40 non-refundable application fee
- Submit official transcripts certifying an undergraduate degree earned from an accredited institution *
- Check for scholarships
Admission into the MSHA (Master of Science in Health Administration) program is a completely separate and required process.
MSHA graduates or currently enrolled MSHA students are not intended to be eligible to receive this healthcare management certificate as the CAHME-accredited degree is appropriate and sufficient development and credentialling.
Formerly enrolled MSHA students may apply for certificate admission and utilize previously earned credits (with a letter grade of B or higher) toward certificate completion.
Students that have successfully completed required courses in another healthcare management certificate provided by the School of Public Health and Information Sciences within the past three years will not be required to retake the required course.
For more information on the admission and application process, please contact our Online Learning Enrollment Counselor at 800.871.8635 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send all materials to:
University of Louisville
2211 S. Brook Street
Louisville, KY 40292
*See the UofL Transfer Credit Policy for more information.
If you live outside of the United States and intend to complete an online academic program from your home country, be sure to review these additional requirements for international students.
Postsecondary transcripts. Transcripts from institutions not in English will require a foreign credential evaluation.
Students whose primary language is not English must show English language proficiency by attaining one of the following:
- TOEFL score at or above 550 (paper based test and a 5.0 on the TWE test), 213 (computer based test), 79 (internet based test),
- Submitting an IELTS test score of 6.5 or higher, ORR
- Successful completion of the exit examination for the advanced level of the Intensive English as a Second Language (IESL) program, OR
- Duolingo English test score of 105 or higher
- Submitting an EFCMG (Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates) certification, OR
- Successful completion of the exit examination for the advanced level of the Intensive English as a Second Language Program (IESL) at the University of Louisville, OR
- Demonstration of a degree award from an acceptable English language institution, as formally documented by an appropriate institutional official.
START YOUR APPLICATION
UofL’s online Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Financial Management is a 4-course, 12-credit hour program which will prepare you for real-world healthcare financial problems that industry professionals face every day. This curriculum is designed to prepare you to face these problems, as well as to help you identify data-driven solutions that will make a difference in your healthcare organization. All of these credits may be used towards the MSHA requirements, with a grade of B or higher.
PHMS 509 Health Finance and Financial Management
PHMS 662 Health Economics
PHMS 687 Managerial Accounting for Healthcare Managers
PHMS 689 Insurance & Alternative Payment Methods
|TOTAL CREDIT HOURS
START YOUR APPLICATION
What careers could be available to non-healthcare professionals as a result of this program?
After completing this certificate, the experience and the skills you will have could better prepare you for roles such as: Healthcare Administrator, Patient Financial Advocate, Financial Operations Analyst, Regional Finance Director, Project Manager/Financial Healthcare Advisor, Healthcare Manager, and more!
When are courses taught?
Courses will be taught in the fall and spring semesters, respectively.
How many classes do I take?
Students will complete 4 courses worth 3 credit hours each for a total of 12 credit hours.
Is this program 100% online and asynchronous?
Yes. Learn on your time and on your schedule from anywhere in the world with an internet connection.
Why is this program better than a business program?
This program is uniquely designed to focus on the unique financial aspects of healthcare, including third-party payors (such as federal entities or insurance companies), rather than a broader business program, which may provide more generalized business practices that can apply to a healthcare organization.
Which employers could this certificate qualify me for?
The skills you learn in this certificate could better prepare you for positions with employers such as Humana, Atria, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Norton, UofL Health, federal and state health organizations, and many more across the country.
What's the difference between this program and an Accountancy program?
While this course teaches similar skills to those found in accountancy programs, only accountancy programs would properly prepare you for a CPA exam. This course provides healthcare-specific knowledge which extends formal accountancy training to enable more effective practice in healthcare organizations.
Which competency program does this certificate follow?
Our courses follow the CAHME-accredited National Center for Healthcare Executives competency model.
How long does each course take to complete?
Each course takes 8 weeks to complete.