ULSD Patient Care Philosophy
The ULSD philosophy of comprehensive patient care is to offer each patient dental services that include the full range of oral health care, provided by DMD students, residents, or dental specialists as appropriate, including diagnosis, treatment, prevention, and follow-up. We strive to address the patient's dental needs, desires, and values in a timely, appropriately sequenced, and professional manner commensurate with the educational goals of the School of Dentistry.
The objectives of our comprehensive care program are to:
- Provide competent care that is at or above the profession's standards of care.
- Conduct a thorough examination and evaluation of the patient's oral and maxillofacial complex, including their medical and systemic condition.
- Formulate and execute an individualized treatment plan, including appropriate preventive measures.
- Recognize the need to refer patients to a dental specialist if the prevailing conditions are beyond the scope of a general practitioner.
- Optimize the oral health of our patients by utilizing evidence-based care and material choices.
The School also recognizes the importance of providing patient-centered care that "establishes a partnership among practitioners, patients and their families (when appropriate) to ensure that decisions respect patients' wants, needs, and preferences and that patients have the education and support they need to make decisions and participate in their own care." (The Institute of Medicine)
Information for Patients
The University of Louisville School of Dentistry offers a full range of general and specialty dental services for the public. We wish to extend a warm welcome as you learn more about the type of patient care available through the school.
The complexity of your medical and dental needs will determine whether you’ll be seen by a student dentist or a resident in the graduate care program. Please understand our student dentists are in a learning environment and may not yet have acquired the skills needed to complete your care.
After your initial evaluation, we will make the decision about your placement. Our residents and faculty at UofL Dental Associates are capable of addressing the most involved dental cases.
If you have any questions or to schedule an initial evaluation appointment please contact us at 502-852-5096.
About the Patient Clinics
The School of Dentistry offers three levels of care and a variety of programs and services to accommodate most patient needs.
- Student Clinics - provide routine dental care for adults and children 4 through 21 years of age.
- Postgraduate Clinics (Specialty Clinics) - For patients with complex treatment needs or for whom time is a concern
- Faculty Practice, now UofL Dental Associates - For patients interested in being treated by the School's faculty
What are the differences among clinics at the School?
|Type of Clinic||Student Clinics||Postgraduate (Speciality) Clinics||Faculty Practice (ULDA)|
|How care is delivered||By students working toward their dental (DMD) degree, under close faculty supervision||By licensed dentists studying an advanced specialty, under faculty supervision||By faculty members, similar to a private dental office|
|Time needed for care||Generally about two to three times longer than in a private dental office||Varies by procedure; generally, somewhat longer than in a private dental office, but not as long as in student clinic||Same as in a private dental office|
|Fees||About 30 percent less than the Louisville-area average||Generally about 20 percent less than the Louisville-area average||Comparable to the Louisville-area average for practicing private dentists|