GEMS - Guaranteed Entrance to Medical School
Students who COMPLETE the GEMS program are automatically admitted to UofL's School of Medicine if they maintain a 3.4 GPA, score at or above the national mean on each section of the MCAT and fully participate in program activities. As a GEMS participant, you enjoy the advantages of an unparalleled hands-on experience in the medical community. GEMS participants are able to:
- Build relationships with medical school faculty, administrators and students
- Accompany physicians on rounds and observe surgeries
- Participate in selected programs that strengthen academic preparation, encourage research and/or introduce the practice of medicine
- Attend meetings of professional medical organizations
- Develop friendships with students who share similar goals and interests
Requirements to Apply:
- 31 ACT or 1420 (CR + M) SAT
- 3.75 GPA
- One essay concerning how you arrived at this point in your life and career decision-making, including plans and goals for the future (400 words or less)
- Two letters of recommendation (one high school principal or counselor and one science or mathematics teacher)
- Be a resident of Kentucky
* Special circumstances may be considered when a student’s parents are transferred out of the state due to a military or government commitment.
Note: Absent special circumstances, high school students who are residents of the state of Kentucky but are attending a high school outside of the state are not eligible to apply to the GEMS program. Special circumstances may be considered when a student's parents are transferred out of the state due to a military or government commitment.