Financial Aid Policies and FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). UofL's Title IV code is 001999.

What is a FAFSA?

It is a needs analysis used to determine how much financial assistance you can get from both state and federal government programs. These come in the form of grants, scholarships, student employment, and/or low-interest loans.

Where can I get a FAFSA?

We encourage students to use FAFSA online because it is a much faster way of sending your information directly to the U.S. Department of Education. You may go on-line and access the FAFSA at: You may also pick one up at most college or university student financial aid offices or at your high school counselor's office.

When do I apply?

The FAFSA becomes available each year on October 1 for students applying for 2017-2018 fall, spring and summer. The University of Louisville encourages you to file as soon as possible on or after October 1 to maximize your potential grant eligibility.

What happens after I apply?

The university will receive the results of your FAFSA application electronically. In some cases, the US Department of Education requires the university to collect additional information from you. You may be selected for a process called 'verification' or we may need to resolve conflicting information reported on your FAFSA. If you used estimated tax return information, remember to update your FAFSA with actual tax information by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool after you file your federal income tax return. We will notify you by e-mail (or mail_____ if additional information is required to complete your application.

What do I do with the Student Aid Report (SAR) after I receive it?

After sumitting the FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) via mail or e-mail. Review the SAR for accuracy and verify UofL is listed as one of your school choices. If accurate, keep the SAR for your records. If corrections are needed, they can be made on the FAFSA website. If you received a paper SAR, corrections can be mailed to the Federal Processor.

What if I wish to attend the University of Louisville the summer after my high school graduation?

At UofL, summer terms are an extension of the prior academic school year. If you are planning on attending the Summer term, then you will need to complete the FAFSA for the preceding academic year.