Live Video Chat
For a limited number of our appointments, you have the option to schedule a live video chat. A live video chat is similar to a face-to-face appointment because you and your writing consultant will talk in real-time about your writing. If your schedule allows, we recommend scheduling a live chat appointment, instead of written feedback, because of the opportunity to exchange ideas and ask questions.
- Log in: If you are a new user, you will be prompted to register before you can log in.
View appointment availability: You will see the University Writing Center schedule with all available and unavailable appointment slots represented as white boxes. On the left, under the consultants’ names, it will indicate if the consultant’s hours are available for live chat. You may also view only live chat available appointments by using the drop-down menu:
- Select an appointment: Select a white box, select “live video chat” at the top, and complete the form with information about your course, assignment, and concerns.
- Upload documents: At the bottom of the form there is an option to upload documents. You are not required to upload anything now, but you might consider uploading a PDF or Word Document with the assignment's instructions and/or your draft. Your consultant will not read any documents until your appointment’s start time.
- Edit your appointment: After you create your appointment, you can still make changes to your appointment information, including uploading documents or updating your draft, by returning to your appointment in the University Writing Center schedule.
- Getting started: At your appointment’s start time, go to the scheduling website, sign in, click on your (green) appointment.
- Join your live video chat: Click the link to “join” the session. A virtual workspace will appear in a new window.
- Talk with your consultant: You can video, audio, and/or text chat with a writing consultant. You will need to download a browser application to use all the features. The workspace also includes a whiteboard where you can import your draft for discussion, review, and mark-up. Your consultant can help you with these features. Appointments last up to 50 minutes.
- Return to your appointment: Our schedule will save your work on the whiteboard; you can return to the consultation link as often as you like during the semester.
- Technical issues?: If you experience technical issues, we recommend that you exit out of the workspace and join the chat from a different browser. We have found that Google Chrome works well, but Safari does not.
- All appointments are a maximum of 50 minutes and back-to-back appointments are not allowed.
- Writers may schedule up to one appointment per day and two appointments per week.
- Writers can book ahead up to 10 days in advance.
- Writers must discuss their own writing and schedule an appointment using their own WCOnline account.
- If you have questions or concerns about an appointment, contact the University Writing Center at 502-852-2173 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Writers should not attempt to contact consultants directly. If you call, please leave a voice mail, and we will respond as quickly as possible, Monday-Friday 9 a.m.- 5 p.m.