Live Video Chat
Some of our appointments are designated for "live video chat." A live video chat is similar to a face-to-face appointment because you and your writing consultant will talk in real-time about your writing. If your schedule allows, we recommend scheduling a live chat appointment, instead of written feedback, because of the opportunity to exchange ideas and ask questions.
Watch our video about live chat appointments and read more to learn:
- Log in: If you are a new user, you will be prompted to register before you can log in.
View appointment availability: You will see the University Writing Center schedule. On the left, under the consultants’ names, look for "LIVE VIDEO CHAT ONLY." You may also view only live chat available appointments by using the drop-down menu.
- Select an appointment: Select a white box and complete the form with information about your course, assignment, and concerns.
- Upload documents (optional): At the bottom of the form there is an option to upload documents. Consider uploading a PDF or Word Document with the assignment's instructions and/or your draft. Your consultant will not read any documents until your appointment’s start time.
- Edit your appointment: After you create your appointment, you can still make changes to your appointment information, including uploading documents or updating your draft, by returning to your appointment in the University Writing Center schedule.
- Getting started: At your appointment’s start time, go to the scheduling website, sign in, click on your (green) appointment.
- Join your live video chat: Click the link to “join” the session. A virtual workspace will appear in a new window.
- Talk with your consultant: You can video, audio, and/or text chat with a writing consultant. You will need to download a browser application to use all the features. The workspace also includes a whiteboard where you can import your draft for discussion, review, and mark-up. Your consultant can help you with these features. Appointments last up to 50 minutes.
- Return to your appointment: Our schedule will save your work on the whiteboard; you can return to the consultation link as often as you like during the semester.
- Technical issues?: If you experience technical issues, we recommend that you exit out of the workspace and join the chat from a different browser. We have found that Google Chrome works well, but Safari does not. If you need or prefer a different chat platform, ask your consultant during your live chat or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 502-852-2173.
- All appointments are a maximum of 50 minutes and back-to-back appointments are not allowed.
- Writers may schedule up to one appointment per day and two appointments per week.
- Writers can book ahead up to 10 days in advance.
- Writers must discuss their own writing and schedule an appointment using their own WCOnline account.
- If you need or prefer a different chat platform, ask your consultant during your live chat or contact us at email@example.com or 502-852-2173.
- If you have questions or concerns about an appointment, contact the University Writing Center at 502-852-2173 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Writers should not attempt to contact consultants directly.