Join the Cards Camp Team
What is Cards Camp?
Cards Camp is an optional 4-day, 3-night experience designed to give students a jump-start on their college journey. On- and off-campus programming will include small group activities, team building exercises, and other engaging opportunities to discuss meaningful topics surrounding transitions to college life. Camp participants will connect with peers, student mentors, faculty and staff to begin building their Cardinal community. Cards Camp will incorporate a service project in coordination with Norton Children's Cancer Institute that allows students to learn more about our compassionate campus and give back to our community.
Freshmen will have the opportunity to move into their residence hall on Sunday, August 14th. We will then kick-off Cards Camp with a welcome and a Family Farewell Reception before students start their Cards Camp experience on campus! During this time students will meet their Cards Camp Counselor and their small groups and dive into the campus culture. After breakfast the following day, campers and staff will travel to Camp Piomingo right outside the city. We will return to campus the evening of Wednesday, August 17th.
Cards Camp Counselor Description
We are looking for a group of enthusiastic and responsible campus leaders to join our team! In this capacity, they serve as resources for new students and are expected to make the camp experience an exciting and fun welcome to the UofL community.
To be eligible, each candidate must:
- Exhibit leadership potential
- Exhibit a commitment to the University and program goals
- Adhere to a strong code of ethics
- Exhibit strong interpersonal and group facilitation skills
- Demonstrate the ability to work with a diverse group of people and value different points of view
- Be in good judicial standing at the University
- Have a cumulative UofL GPA of 2.8 or higher by the end of the Spring semester
- Be enrolled in classes full time for Fall 2022
- Welcome new students to UofL with a positive attitude and contagious energy.
- Develop a rapport with new students, especially with those in their small groups.
- Help to make new students feel welcome and get involved with the UofL community.
- Be willing to share your experiences as a catalyst for building relationships.
- Facilitate meaningful, well-organized, and thorough small group meetings.
- Serve as an academic and social role model.
- Complete all logistical tasks as requested by the Orientation staff to ensure the program proceeds smoothly and effectively.
- Maintain regular communications with supervisors and discuss situations that warrant their attention or action.
- With a positive attitude, participate in all assigned Cards Camp duties fully and take initiative with unanticipated tasks or problems.
Individuals selected as Cards Camp Counselors must move-in/ be available beginning August 9,2022 with Camp commitments ending the evening of August 17, 2022.
- August 9 - August 12: Required Training
- August 14 – August 17: Cards Camp on the Belknap Campus (1 day) & Camp Piomingo (3 days)
Benefits of being a Cards Camp Counselor
As a Cards Camp Counselor you will have the opportunity to share what you love about our campus and UofL with incoming students. We are hoping to start as a tight-knit group of students who work as a team, support one another, and have an exceptional summer experience while making an impact on the incoming freshman class.
- $10 per hour during training and camp.
- Counselors will have their on-campus early move-in costs covered by the Orientation Programs Office.
- Staff shirts, backpack, water bottle, and various SWAG will be provided. All meals will also be provided during camp.
- Valuable leadership and mentorship opportunities.
Applications for Cards Camp Counselors are bring accepted March 16-24, 2022!
Applications available online: March 16th - 24th
I’m ready to apply!
Review the position description and important dates. These dates are critical to the position. If you have any questions about these dates, or potential conflicts, please email a member of our staff.
Complete your application and submit additional materials:
- starting March 16th! The application includes three short answer questions. ke
- Resume & Headshot: Have your resume (no more than two pages) & headshot ready for upload with your online application.
- Recommendation: Request a recommendation and send your recommender this form to complete.
Application Deadline: All applications must be submitted by Thursday, March 24th @ 5 pm ET.
What happens after I apply?
Group Interviews are tentatively planned for the evening of Wednesday, March 30th. All applicants will be notified via email of their application status by end of day Friday, March 25th. If invited for Group Interviews, full details including time, location, and what to expect will be included in the email.
If you think of any questions please feel free to contact a member of the Orientation Programs staff or visit us in the Houchens Building in the Office of Admissions:
Ashleigh Hood, Cards Camp Intern: email@example.com
Melissa Eversole, Director of Orientation Programs: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ariel Moore, Program Coordinator for Orientation: email@example.com