Join the Cards Camp Team
What is Cards Camp?
Cards Camp is an optional 5-day, 4-night experience designed to give students a jump-start on their college journey. On- and off-campus programming will include small group activities, team building exercises, and other engaging opportunities to discuss meaningful topics surrounding transitions to college life. Camp participants will connect with peers, student mentors, faculty and staff to begin building their Cardinal community.
Freshmen will have the opportunity to move into their residence hall on Sunday, August 12th. We will then kick-off Cards Camp with a welcome and a Family Farewell Reception before students start their Cards Camp experience on campus! During this time students will meet their Cards Camp Counselor and their small groups and dive into the campus culture. After breakfast the following day, campers and staff will travel to North Central 4-H Camp in Carlisle, KY. We will return to campus the evening of Wednesday, August 16th.
Cards Camp Counselor Description
We are looking for a group of enthusiastic and responsible campus leaders to join our team! In this capacity, they serve as resources for new students and are expected to make the camp experience an exciting and fun welcome to the UofL community.
To be eligible, each candidate must:
- Exhibit leadership potential
- Exhibit a commitment to the University and program goals
- Adhere to a strong code of ethics
- Exhibit strong interpersonal and group facilitation skills
- Demonstrate the ability to work with a diverse group of people and value different points of view
- Be in good judicial standing at the University
- Have a cumulative UofL GPA of 2.5 or higher by the end of the Spring semester
- Be enrolled in classes full time for Fall 2023
- Welcome new students to UofL with a positive attitude and contagious energy.
- Develop a rapport with new students, especially with those in their small groups.
- Help to make new students feel welcome and get involved with the UofL community.
- Be willing to share your experiences as a catalyst for building relationships.
- Facilitate meaningful, well-organized, and thorough small group meetings.
- Serve as an academic and social role model.
- Complete all logistical tasks as requested by the Orientation staff to ensure the program proceeds smoothly and effectively.
- Maintain regular communications with supervisors and discuss situations that warrant their attention or action.
- With a positive attitude, participate in all assigned Cards Camp duties fully and take initiative with unanticipated tasks or problems.
Individuals selected as Cards Camp Counselors must move-in/ be available beginning August 8, 2023 with Camp commitments ending the evening of August 16, 2023.
- August 8 - August 10: Required Training
- August 12 – August 16: Cards Camp on the Belknap Campus (1 day) & North Central 4-H Camp (4 days)
- Attend at least two orientation sessions to table for Cards Camp at our lunchtime resource fair and two orientation sessions to attend evening entertainment to engage with incoming freshmen. You can view the full list of orientation sessions HERE.
- Attend additional May training date(s) the week of May 15th, specific date TBD.
Benefits of being a Cards Camp Counselor
As a Cards Camp Counselor you will have the opportunity to share what you love about our campus and UofL with incoming students. We are hoping to start as a tight-knit group of students who work as a team, support one another, and have an exceptional summer experience while making an impact on the incoming freshman class.
- $10 per hour during training and camp.
- Counselors will have their on-campus early move-in costs covered by the Orientation Programs Office.
- Staff shirts, backpack, water bottle, and various SWAG will be provided. All meals will also be provided during camp.
- Valuable leadership and mentorship opportunities.
Applications for Cards Camp Counselors are bring accepted March 27 - April 4, 2023!
Applications available online: March 27 - April 4
I’m ready to apply!
Review the position description and important dates. These dates are critical to the position. If you have any questions about these dates, or potential conflicts, please email a member of our staff.
Complete your application and submit additional materials:
- starting March 27th! The application includes three short answer questions. Engage
- Resume & Headshot: Have your resume (no more than two pages) & headshot ready for upload with your online application.
- Recommendation: Request a recommendation and send your recommender this form to complete.
Application Deadline: All applications must be submitted by Tuesday, April 4th @ 11:59 pm ET.
What happens after I apply?
Individual Interviews will be conducted the week of April 17th. All applicants will be notified via email of their application status by end of day Thursday, April 6th. If invited for an individual interview you will be sent an email with a link to schedule a time to schedule your individual interview date & time. Following interviews students will be notified of Cards Camp decisions shortly after.
If you think of any questions please feel free to contact a member of the Orientation Programs staff or visit us in the Houchens Building in the Office of Admissions:
Ashleigh Hood, Program Coordinator Senior, Orientation Programs: firstname.lastname@example.org
Melissa Eversole, Director of Orientation Programs: email@example.com