UofL Celebrates the Día de los muertos
- Day of the Dead: A Brief Introduction
- A Day of the Dead altar: the symbols behind the elements
- Downtown Celebrations through the years
- Our celebrations at UofL and the city of Louisville attempt to bridge cultural borders by trying to observe the Day of The Dead like Mexicans continue to commemorate it. Local citizens of Mexicans descend can remember their deceased loved ones like their relatives living in Mexico do. The festivities allow people in Louisville to experience a taste of this important holiday on the way Mexicans relate to the dead. This year we have expanded the celebration to include the following:
Downtown Day of the Dead Celebration - November 2, 2022: 5 - 8 p.m. 4th Street Live
An authentic altar at 4th Street Live! built by Moore High School and Newcomer Academy students. They will honor and remember the love of prominent Latinos who have stood out as community leaders. Major Fisher will participate in the opening ceremony. Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer will make a special dedication to recent Hispanic Louisville community leaders who have departed: Ellie Kerstetter (2022), Saul Garcia (2021), Miguel Lagunas (2018), and Daniel Alvarez (2018). as well as the local lives lost to Covid-19 including healthcare workers, and former members of the armed forces.
- Day Of the Dead Dedication Altar
- Face Painting Fun for everyone!
- Mexico Lindo Folkloric Dancers
- Mariachis on the Main Stage
Local Mexican Restaurant’s Día de los muertos Altar Contest. October 26 - November 5
This contest tries to get Louisville citizens acquainted with this holiday.
UofL - Department of Classical and Modern Languages Día de los muertos altar display - Oct 31 - Nov 3
Visit the exhibit of Day of the Dead altars built by UofL students on display at the Ekstrom Library (basement).
Día de muertos at Speed - Sunday, October 30, 2022 1:00 - 4:00 p.m
The Speed Art Museum will also host another event organized by ? .
NOTE: LALS only advertise this event as a public service. It does not sponsor it or organize it.