Student Complaint Procedure

Students are encouraged to resolve complaints at the appropriate level of dispute; however, should this approach fail or be inappropriate, students may submit written complaints through the form link listed below. All pertinent information should be listed including date, time, location, parties involved, witnesses, any attempts to resolve the complaint, and desired resolution. Forms submitted without contact information will not be processed; anonymous complaints can be submitted in writing to the office of the Vice Provost for Student Affairs at the address below. Once received, the complaint will be forwarded to the appropriate academic area or administrative unit for review.

On line complaint form is located at:

Complaints are respected and honored. No reprisals or retaliation shall be invoked against any student for processing, in good faith, a complaint, either on an informal or formal basis, or for participating in any way in these complaint procedures. Every attempt is made to resolve complaints informally and at the lowest level possible. In the instances when that is not possible, a formal process is in place. Students who choose to resolve the complaint informally still have the right to pursue a formal grievance.

All submissions will be kept confidential to the extent possible given the need to investigate the complaint, maintain campus safety, and comply with federal, state, or local mandates.

To file a consumer complaint against a Kentucky postsecondary institution, please write a letter to the address below or submit your complaint via and include the following information:

  1. Name of student (or complainant)
  2. Complainant address
  3. Email address
  4. Phone number
  5. Name of institution
  6. Location of institution (city)
  7. Dates of attendance
  8. A full description of the problem, any relevant documentation that will support the complaint such as correspondence, and the desired outcome.

Mailing Address:

Institutional Complaints
Council on Postsecondary Education
1024 Capital Center Drive, Suite 320
Frankfort, KY 40601

You may also contact our accrediting agency the Southern Association of Colleges and School Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) if you have a concern about the institutional accreditation status. The Commission’s complaint policy, procedures, and complaint form are available at:

If you reside outside the state of Kentucky, and in the unlikely event that the issue is not resolved internally at the University of Louisville, you may also file a complaint with your state. Please review theDirectory of State Authorization Agencies [PDF]for more details and contact information.

Student Advocate
Dean of Students Office
Student Activities Center, Room W301
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292