Student Complaint Process
Students are encouraged to resolve complaints at the appropriate level of dispute; however, should this approach fail or be inappropriate, students may submit written complaints through an online complaint form. All pertinent information should be listed including date, time, location, parties involved, witnesses, any attempts to resolve the complaint, and desired resolution. Forms submitted without valid contact information will not be processed; anonymous complaints can be submitted in writing to the Dean of Students Office at the address below. Once received, the complaint will be forwarded to the appropriate academic area or administrative unit for review.
The online Student Complaint form is located at http://louisville.edu/student/form/studentcomplaintform/.
Dean of Students Office
Student Activities Center Room W301
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292
Complaints are respected and honored. No reprisals or retaliation shall be invoked against any student for processing, in good faith, a complaint, either on an informal or formal basis, or for participating in any way in these complaint procedures. Every attempt is made to resolve complaints informally and at the lowest level possible. Students who choose to resolve the complaint informally still have the right to pursue a formal grievance.
All submissions will be kept confidential to the extent possible given the need to investigate the complaint, maintain campus safety and comply with federal, state, or local mandates. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) requires each institution to have student grievance and public complaint policies and procedures that are reasonable, fairly administered, and well-publicized. The university is also required to maintain a log or a record of written student complaints received by the institution. This record is made available to the Commission upon request. This record will be reviewed and evaluated by the Commission as part of the institution’s decennial evaluation.
Centralized Process for Receiving and Logging Student Complaints
- The Dean of Students (DOS) Office, housed in the Vice Provost for Student Affairs office, coordinates a centralized process for collection, dissemination, and logging of student complaints.
- Each Academic and Administrative Unit identifies an individual who will coordinate the student complaint process for their respective area.
- Students may submit complaints via the online complaint form or in writing to the DOS Office.
- The DOS Office will distribute completed online forms electronically to the appropriate Academic and Administrative Unit representative for action.
- The unit representative will notify the DOS Office when the complaint has been resolved.
- Written complaints received directly by the Academic or Administrative Unit will be submitted to the DOS Office after resolution.