Brown Fellows Program
Brown Fellows is a prestigious enrichment program designed to support students’ unique personal, academic, and career goals while producing outstanding ambassadors for the state of Kentucky. It is open to Kentucky residents and non-residents with a 26 ACT or 1230 SAT and 3.5 GPA.
Ten Fellows are selected each year. Recipients will have diverse academic interests; demonstrate that they are well-rounded; and show evidence of leadership potential. The scholarship award will include full tuition, room, board, and an allowance for books. In addition, each fellow may apply for funding from the Brown Foundation to support their individual enrichment plan (up to $6,000 per project).
Students who are eligible to apply for this scholarship will find their next steps in their UofL Application Gateway soon after they apply to UofL. The deadline to apply for this scholarship and submit materials is December 15.
A complete application includes:
- One essay (700-800 words) responding to the following prompt:
One of the key components of the Brown Fellows Program is engaging in two individual enrichment experiences. Fellows work with program staff and faculty mentors to develop projects that address their academic, professional, and personal interests. These funded experiences may take shape around individualized plans of study, research, community service, civic engagement, or some combination of activities. In 700-800 words, please describe two enrichment experiences that you would like to pursue if selected as a Brown Fellow. While approaches to the essay may differ, please be sure to address the following points in some way:
- What would you want to do for these experiences? Why is it important to you and/or to the world, and how does it fit with your plans as they stand today?
- Where would you want to go? Why is a particular location relevant to these experiences?
- In what way(s), if any, are these experiences connected to each other?
- How has your background prepared you—or not prepared you—to pursue the experiences you are describing? How have your previous experiences shaped your view of these opportunities?
- Two letters of recommendation
Finalists participate in interviews on February 24-25, 2023. Students who are ultimately selected as Brown Fellows must attend two weeks of mandatory program activities in June 2023.
For questions specifically related to the Brown Fellows Program, please contact Luke Buckman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about scholarships, please e-mail email@example.com and put “scholarship” in the subject line.