UofL students, faculty or staff who are willing to forgo the right to a UofL parking permit for at least two years are eligible to receive a $400 voucher to an area bike shop!
Sick of the hassle & expense of driving to campus?!
Ready to try something cheaper, healthier, and better for the planet?!
UofL’s Sustainability Council is now accepting applications from those willing to give up the right to a parking permit for the 2013 Earn-A-Bike program!
- Anyone with a valid UofL ID who is willing to do without a parking permit for the next two years and instead bike, walk, bus, or carpool to campus can apply to receive a $400 voucher to area bike shops.
- Vouchers will be distributed beginning September 1, 2013 and can be redeemed for a new bike, helmet, and U-lock, or to fix-up and equip your bike for year-round commuting with lights, racks, bags, etc.
- Online applications are due August 30, 2013 at 5pm. Apply by filling out the form below.
- You will not receive an email response until after the August 30th deadline.
- This is NOT a first-come, first-served program.
In August 2012, the University of Louisville launched the new Earn-A-Bike program as part of our Climate Action Plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and to encourage students and employees to use bicycles for transportation. The goals of this program include:
- Reducing the vehicle miles traveled to campus (and associated pollution);
- Reducing the number of vehicles that must be parked on and around campus;
- Increasing health and activity levels within the UofL community;
- Saving money you would otherwise spend on gas, parking, and other automobile expenses;
- Reducing traffic congestion; and
- Rewarding individuals for not driving to campus.
UofL’s Sustainability Council has a limited annual budget for this program. Each August, the program offers a limited number of bike shop vouchers those willing to use alternative means of getting to campus other than driving. Everyone coming to UofL is encouraged to consider walking, bicycling, taking the TARC bus (free with UofL ID!), carpooling, or vanpooling. Full details on all of these transportation alternatives are available here.
To be eligible, you must have a valid UofL ID number and must indicate an understanding that if your application is accepted for this program, you will have to turn in any current UofL parking permits and you will not be able to purchase any UofL parking permits for the next two years. Once the deadline for application has passed each year, vouchers will be distributed to eligible applicants in order of priority until funds are exhausted. To help focus the program on changing behavior, top priority is given to current UofL parking permit holders, then former UofL parking permit holders, then all others. Former program beneficiaries are given lowest priority. Date of application is the final determinant of priority.
Enthusiasm for this new program has been outstanding! In the first year of the program (2012), roughly 800 UofL students, faculty, and staff were willing to commit to not driving to campus for at least two years! All 2012 vouchers were distributed at ten different sessions from Aug. 28 - Sept. 7, 2012.
How the Program Works:
- Those students, faculty and staff who qualify and are selected will be notified via email just after the application deadline that they are eligible to pick up a voucher worth up to $400 (sales tax-exempt), to be used at designated local bike shops.
- Each voucher is intended to cover the costs of a reliable, basic commuter bicycle, helmet and U-lock, but can be used to purchase any bicycling-related products or services offered by the vendors. Get a new bike, or fix-up and equip the one you have for year-round commuting with fenders, lights, baskets, racks, pannier bags, a pump, maintenance tools, lubricant, spare parts, tubes and tire liners, etc.
- Those who accept a voucher must first return to the Parking Office any current UofL parking permits and will not be eligible to purchase a new permit for two full calendar years. If you cannot make this long-term commitment and think you might want a permit in the future due to weather, relocations, health issues, theft of your bike, etc. then this program is NOT for you!
- Vouchers can only be redeemed by the recipient. They are non-transferable.
- Vouchers have no cash value. No change or gift cards will be issued. Any unused portion of the $400 value of the voucher will remain in the program and will be used by the university for other related programs.
- Vouchers expire within three months of issue.
- Each voucher may only be used for one transaction at one bike shop.
- Vouchers may not be combined because the goal is to get more people on bikes.
- If lost, vouchers cannot be replaced. Treat them like cash.
- You must present your UofL ID and submit your voucher to the bike shop at the time of purchase.
- Voucher users may choose to spend additional personal funds, or to not redeem the full amount of the voucher.
- To pick up vouchers, accepted applicants MUST attend one of several one-hour orientation and safety sessions. A complete schedule and link to register for these sessions is sent with the program acceptance email. Sessions are available at a variety of times and days of the week on both Belknap campus and the Health Sciences Center.