UofL students, faculty or staff who are willing to stop driving to campus for at least two years are eligible to receive a $400 voucher to an area bike shop!
Sick of the hassle & expense of driving to campus?!
Want to try something cheaper, healthier & greener?!
UofL’s Sustainability Council accepts applications every summer from those willing to not drive to campus and to give up the right to a parking permit for at least two years in exchange for a $400 voucher to area bike shops!
We had a record number of applications for the 2015 Earn-A-Bike Program, with 850 students, faculty, and staff willing to make the commitment to not drive to campus! Applications for the 2016 program will open at the end of the spring 2016 semester.
- Anyone with a valid UofL ID who is willing to get to campus without driving (i.e. bike, walk, skate, bus, carpool, or vanpool) and to formally give up the right to a parking permit for the next two years is eligible to apply to receive a $400 voucher to area bike shops. Vouchers can be redeemed for a new bike, helmet, and lock, or to fix-up and equip your bike for year-round commuting with lights, racks, bags, etc.
- This is an ANNUAL program with a new round of voucher
distributions occurring at the beginning of each Fall semester. Those
who are not accepted or unable to make the commitment this year may
reapply the following year.
- This is NOT a first-come, first-served program. Just make sure you've completed your application prior to the deadline.
- If you plan to purchase a parking permit for Fall, but have not yet done so, wait until AFTER purchasing your permit to complete your application. You will need the permit number to apply.
UofL's Sustainability Council launched the Earn-A-Bike program in August 2012 as part of our Climate Action Plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and to encourage students and employees to adopt bicycling for transportation as a healthy lifestyle. Enthusiasm for this program has been outstanding, with 1550 vouchers being distributed in the first four years! In 2015, a record 850 UofL students, faculty, and staff expressed willingness to commit to not driving to campus for at least two years by applying for the program! Similar numbers of applicants were processed in the first three years of the program, as well.
The goals of this nationally-recognized, award-winning program include:
- Reducing the vehicle miles traveled to campus (and associated pollution);
- Reducing the number of vehicles that must be parked on and around campus;
- Increasing health and activity levels within the UofL community;
- Saving money you would otherwise spend on gas, parking, and other automobile expenses (i.e. reducing the costs of a UofL education for student participants);
- Reducing traffic congestion; and
- Rewarding individuals for not driving to campus.
Everyone coming to UofL is encouraged to consider walking, bicycling, taking the TARC bus (free with UofL ID!), carpooling, or vanpooling. Those needing a car once they're on campus can rent one from our fuel-efficient fleet for a low hourly rate through the UofL CarShare program. Bikes can also be checked out free for the day from eight campus locations through the UofL BikeShare program. Full details on all of these transportation alternatives here.
UofL’s Sustainability Council has a limited annual budget for the Earn-A-Bike program. Each August, the program offers a limited number of bike shop vouchers to those willing to use alternative means of getting to campus other than driving. We wish we could award a voucher to everyone willing to make this commitment, but we cannot.
To be eligible for the Earn-A-Bike program, you must be enrolled or employed by UofL at the time of the deadline and you must indicate an understanding that in order to receive a voucher:
- For the next two years, you will have to get to campus without driving (i.e. bike, walk, skate, bus, carpool, or vanpool) even if your housing location or other personal circumstances change;
- You will have to turn in any current UofL parking permits you own;
- You will not be able to purchase or use any UofL parking permits for the next two years from the deadline; and
- To pick-up your voucher, you must attend a one-hour orientation and safety session which will be held at a
variety of times and days of the week on both Belknap campus and at the
Health Sciences Center at the beginning of the fall semester.
That is how you EARN your voucher. There are no exceptions or partial commitments allowed. If you cannot fully abide by the terms of this agreement for the next two years, please do not apply.
Once the deadline for application has passed each year, vouchers will be distributed to eligible applicants based on a prioritization scheme designed to create the greatest impact in terms of changing behavior and reaching as many people as possible. Top priority is given to current UofL parking permit holders, then former UofL parking permit holders, then all others. Those new to campus are given special consideration. Former program beneficiaries are given lowest priority.
How the Program Works:
- Those students, faculty and staff who qualify and are selected will be notified via email just after the application deadline that they are eligible to pick up a voucher worth up to $400 (sales tax-exempt), to be used at designated local bike shops.
- Each voucher is intended to cover the costs of a reliable, basic commuter bicycle, helmet and U-lock, but can be used to purchase any bicycling-related products or services offered by the shops. Get a new bike, or fix-up and equip the one you have for year-round commuting with fenders, lights, baskets, racks, pannier bags, a pump, maintenance tools, lubricant, spare parts, tubes and tire liners, etc.
- Those who accept a voucher must return to the Parking Office any current UofL parking permits and will not be eligible to purchase a new permit for two full calendar years. If you cannot make this long-term commitment and think you might want a permit in the future due to changes in weather, relocation, medical issues, theft of your bike, future availability of reserved parking spots, etc. then this program is NOT for you!
- To pick up vouchers, accepted applicants MUST attend one of several one-hour orientation and safety sessions. A complete schedule and link to register for these sessions is sent with the program acceptance email. Sessions are made available at a variety of times and days of the week on both Belknap campus and at the Health Sciences Center.
- Vouchers can only be redeemed by the recipient. They are non-transferable.
- Vouchers have no cash value. No change or gift cards will be issued. Any unused portion of the $400 value of the voucher will be used by the university for other related programs.
- Vouchers expire within three months of issue.
- Each voucher may only be used for one transaction at one bike shop.
- Vouchers may not be combined because the goal is to get more people on bikes.
- If lost, vouchers cannot be replaced. Treat them like cash.
- You must present your UofL ID and submit your voucher to the bike shop at the time of purchase.
- Voucher users may choose to spend additional personal funds (though they will be subject to sales tax), or to not redeem the full amount of the voucher. Get whatever you need to be safe and comfortable commuting year-round by bike.