Pol-Reclassification - Staff Positions
policy Reclassification modified Mon Oct 17 2022 15:22:15 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
University of Louisville
Reclassification - Staff Positions
May 1, 1992
This policy applies to University Staff.
REASON FOR POLICY
The intended purpose of a reclassification is to correct inequity in class, grade or pay based on the duties that an employee is already performing. Reclassifications are not a means to bypass the ability for internal qualified and interested employees to have equal opportunities to compete for promotional opportunities.
A reclassification occurs when a position is changed to a different pay grade based on changes to the duties, responsibilities, minimum requirements and preferred qualifications of the job.
- A pay increase resulting from reclassification occurs when the job an employee occupies is moved to a different pay grade. The reclassification and any resulting pay increase will become effective with the first day of the pay period closest to the implementation date established by the university.
- The increase may not be above the maximum of the pay range for the new classification.
- The department requesting the review completes a Job Description Form (DOC) and a PeopleSoft Position Authorization Request, and forwards the documents to the Compensation Department. Any questions should be directed to the Compensation Department (852-6542).
- The Compensation Department reviews the information provided and determines the appropriate grade for the job.
- The Compensation Department communicates the result of the review to the unit head and obtains salary recommendations from the department.
- The Compensation Department forwards the PAR to the Provost/vice president/dean for approval.
- The Provost/vice president/dean forwards the PAR to the Office of Planning and Budget for approval. New jobs or classification action on vacant positions is made effective immediately as approved by the Office of Planning and Budget. Reclassifications of occupied positions are made effective on a monthly schedule as announced.
- The Office of Planning and Budget forwards the approved PAR to the Human Resources Department.
- The Compensation Department enters the information on the action into the system, distributes the approved PAR, and forwards confirming letters on the review to the originating unit. The department head is responsible for notifying the employee of the action taken.
- The Employee Service Center will prepare the necessary database changes. A copy of the printed Payroll Action Form, noting the adjustment due to the reclassification, will be returned to the department.
Vice President for Human Resources
RESPONSIBLE UNIVERSITY DEPARTMENT/DIVISION
215 Central Avenue, Suite 205
Revision Date(s): July 1, 2010; December 14, 2020; December 10, 2021 (minor edits); August 24, 2022 (minor edit)
Reviewed Date(s): March 8, 2016; December 14, 2020
The University Policy and Procedure Library is updated regularly. In order to ensure a printed copy of this document is current, please access it online at http://louisville.edu/policies.