Careers Checklist for Freshmen Music Students
Welcome to the University of Louisville School of Music!
Graduation may seem like a long way off now, but in 4 short years, you will be going on to graduate school or getting your first job! There is no time like the present to start preparing.
The Career Development Center has put together this helpful list of things to do as a Freshman to help you prepare for your future!
Remember, we are here to help you on the first day! Here are a few things to think about this year:
- Make an appointment to meet with your Career Coach between now and March 1st to discuss your Music Career and occupational choices.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a short 30 minute on campus appointment to review this check-list. Office hours in the School of Music are on Tuesdays from 9:00-4:00 or during the week in the Career Development Center, Houchens Building LL003 Mondays-Fridays 8:30-4:30 OR contact Career Development Center 502-852-6701.
- Make yourself a spreadsheet or Master Resume now and keep track of everything that you are doing as a student…all performances, masterclasses, workshops, lectures, etc. It’s easy to forget some of the things you’ve done when you are so busy, so write them down! Refer to the Resume Builder and sample resume on the School of Music website as a guide.
- Start Networking. The people that you meet now can help you in the future. See the Career Development Center or School of Music faculty to ask for referrals and contact information. Start preparing a list of people to “interview” for career related information.
- Be aware of opportunities for the Gig Program. Not only could you make some extra money, but you will practice your performance, marketing, and networking skills.