Master of Music in Music Performance with a Concentration in Jazz Composition Requirements
Masters Audition Requirements:
Students applying for enrollment in this degree must submit a portfolio of their compositions/arranging works which best exemplify their skills and talent. Included should be examples of their compositions in the jazz idiom as well as those in traditional genres, examples representative of their large and small ensemble scoring and any recordings of their work germane to this area of study.
Works in this portfolio must include a minimum of:
- Two small ensemble arrangements (with one being an original composition) with an instrumentation of no fewer than 6 instruments with a length of no less than 3 minutes.
- Two big band ensemble arrangements (with one being an original composition) with an instrumentation of no fewer than 16 instruments with a length of no less than 5 minutes.
- One large ensemble arrangement (orchestra, pops orchestra, orchestra w/big band) with an instrumentation of no fewer than 30 instruments with a length of no less than 7 minutes.
- One piece outside of the jazz genre for chamber ensemble with a length of no less then 4 minutes.
- Additional works that do not fall strictly within the above requirements may also be submitted for consideration.
- Student must be able to articulate an understanding of the historical timeline of jazz composition through an aural query about key periods and artists of the idiom.
- Student must be able to articulate an understanding of jazz articulations, rhythms, instrument ranges, instrument transpositions and jazz theory through an aural exam of same.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in Finale or Sibelius.
Instructor reserves the right to waive certain requirements if the student has an adequate portfolio with a different balance of works, or is deemed to have unique musical skills and potential.
Note: Courses, in addition to degree requirements, may be added to address any deficiencies. These courses include traditional theory and history, jazz theory and history. Additional courses including Improvisation 340 and Jazz Piano Class may be required.