Modern Languages Fund
Apply now for 2020-2021 projects
Deadline: Friday, November 1, 3:30 pm
Download applications: Instructor Recommendation (PDF) ||
The Modern Languages Fund was established in 1984 by Betty and David A. Jones to enhance foreign language learning at the University of Louisville. By subsidizing overseas travel and residency in locations where students will benefit from total immersion in the language they are studying, the endowment has helped over a thousand of our Department's majors, minors and MA students graduate with superior foreign language skills. It has also provided funding for faculty travel and various other enhancements of the Department’s language programs.
Please read the following carefully
- Funding period: Summer 2020, Fall 2020, and Spring 2021. (NOTE: does not extend to study abroad in summer 2021.)
- Awards are announced in February, with funds distributed on July 15.
- An award must be used by the following June 30, and only for the project described in the application.
- Please note that if you have other funds in your U of L account, an MLF award could result in a so-called "over-award," which will require that you make special arrangements with the Financial Aid Office.
- Funds awarded in Round 36 will not be released until JULY 15, 2020. If you incur program costs before then, you must be prepared to cover them yourself. You must complete your proposed project prior to graduation.
NOTE: All MLF awardees must file a report with the Department of Classical and Modern Languages within 30 days of the project’s completion describing what was accomplished and the benefits derived. Awardees in previous rounds who have failed to submit a report for funding received will be disqualified from the current round.
- Undergraduates who have completed 12 credit hours of study in the target language (or the equivalent) by departure
- Graduate students enrolled in the Department of Classical and Modern Languages
Materials to submit
- Application form
- Award information from “View My Financial Aid” in ULink
- Current unofficial transcripts (Transfer students in their first semester at U of L should submit transcripts from their previous institution; students in their first semester of undergraduate study must submit a letter of support from their current language instructor in lieu of a transcript.)
Once you've compiled everything, scan as a single PDF, save with the name studentname_language.pdf, and submit to applyCML@louisville.edu from your UofL email account with MLF and your full name in the subject line. The entire student application packet should be sent as one single PDF file.
Instructor recommendation (optional)
You may request that an instructor submit a recommendation electronically directly. Please give your recommender at least two weeks notice.
Please take care in compiling your application. Incomplete or incorrect applications may not be considered. Your application will be judged on the soundness of your plan, your academic record, and your overall plan to continue studying this language at UofL after you return.
- You need to download the application PDF to your computer before filling it out. Otherwise you won't be able to save your responses.
- Your budget (Part IV) of the application form) should list actual price quotes from specific vendors.
- All students traveling overseas with U of L financial support like the MLF must meet well beforehand with a Study Abroad advisor in the International Center to arrange for special overseas course enrollment status. Grants cannot be disbursed to students who are not enrolled at U of L during their trip. For instructions, contact email@example.com 852-0374 with details of your program.
- Please note that if you have other funds in your U of L account, any new award may result in an “over-award,” which may reduce your overall funds. See the Financial Aid office for details.
- Additional permissions are required for travel to Travel Warning Countries, CDC Level 2 & 3 countries, and countries on the Sanctions list. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org your proposal is for travel to a country on any of these lists.
- If you need Adobe Reader to open and save your application, you can download it here: https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/pdf-reader.html