Meditations for Military Leaders
Newsletters are distributed monthly. For questions and feedback, please contact Connor Tracy, editor.
Each Meditations newsletter includes
- our latest Vital Remnants podcast episode
- next month's reading assignment (part of our challenge to engage ideas from classic texts and apply them to present-day leadership)
- Download Gregg's Reading Guide to Thinking with Plato (target reading assignments in a 7-month window)
- Download Gregg's Leadership Guide to Machiavelli's The Prince (target reading assignments in a 9-month window)
- Download Gregg's Leadership Guide to The Last Day's of Socrates (target reading assignment in a 4-month window)
- book recommendations from McConnell Center associates. Recommendations include new books or a pitch for classic or overlooked titles to add to military leaders' bookshelves.
- featured student projects or notable student highlights, including:
- Charles K. Djou on "Make China More Like Hong Kong: A New U.S. National Security Policy Approach Toward China" (published at RealClearDefense.com)
- Trivius Caldwell on "Contrarian Leadership through Self-Education"
- Jeff Fanelli on "Building a Soldier: Educating Soldiers to Win in a Complex World"
- Taylor Durling on "Oath of Office: A Call to Revisit Civic Education in the Military"
- Trivius Caldwell on "A Wise Academy: The Un-Coddled American Minds at West Point" (published at the Witherspoon Institute's Public Discourse, relinked with permission)
- Alfonso Castillo on "The Constitutional Creation of a New Branch of the Military"
- Kane Tomlin on "Intelligence’s Correlation to Special Operation’s Mission Success"
- Leyland "Lee" Torres on "The Constitution and War"
- additional McConnell Center educational resources
- Vol. 2 - Issue 3 - "How to Create and Grow New Enterprises: Warnings from Machiavelli's The Prince with Dr. Gary Gregg"
- Vol. 2 - Issue 2 - "Political Leadership Lessons in Machiavelli's The Prince" with Dr. Gary Gregg
- Vol. 2 - Issue 1 - "An Introduction to Political Leadership Lessons in Machiavelli's 'The Prince'" with Dr. Gary Gregg
- Vol. 1, Issue 9 - "Plato v. Aristotle and the Struggle for the Soul of Western Civilization" with Dr. Gary Gregg
- Vol. 1, Issue 8 - "Of Poets and the Afterlife: Imagining Your Life Choices" with Dr. Gary Gregg
- Vol. 1, Issue 7 - "The Tyrannical Soul & Caring for the Proper Soul" with Dr. Gary Gregg
- Vol. 1, Issue 6 - "Types of Political Leadership & Types of Political Communities" with Dr. Gary Gregg
- Vol. 1, Issue 5 - "Philosopher Kings & Responsibilities in Leadership" with Dr. Gary Gregg
- Vol. 1, Issue 4 - "Education & Political Culture for Leadership: Part II" with Dr. Gary Gregg
- Vol. 1, Issue 3 - "Education & Political Culture for Leadership" with Dr. Gary Gregg
- Vol. 1, Issue 2 - "Justice & Leadership" with Dr. Gary Gregg
- Vol. 1, Issue 1 - SBS at the McConnell Center: A Continuing Education Project